K6-III+ on FIC PA-2013, anyone?

gregorarch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, some of us are still using SS7! I've pushed my K6-II setup as far as it's going, so the only sensible upgrade path left for this box is a K6-III+. Has anyone sucessfully installed an K6-III+ in an FIC PA 2013 (PCB 2.1) motherboard? Officially it's not supported but FIC do have a beta BIOS with II+/III+ support (BIOS rev JI4330) - does anyone have any experience of this? Given the difficulty in sourcing a K6 III+, I don't want to start down that road unless someone else (with more money/time) has been there before...

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey man I'm with you. I'm running an original K63 400 in my Epox super 7 board. If the new bios says it supports the new K63+ then I'm sure it would be fine. As long as it supports the required core voltage. You might be able to find the core voltage range on FIC's page. Do you really think the K6 3+ upgrade will be all that noticeable for you? I am personally waiting for DDR to get a foothold before I upgrade.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

gregorarch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, the III+ is a 0.18 micron core as opposed to a 0.25, it's got much better L1 cache, plus on-die L2 cache and the L3 cache on the board. All the benchmarks I've seen indicate that it's a fair upgrade from a K6-II, but I'm not sure if it would make as much difference if I already had a K6-III. Since I've oc'd the CPU to 550 (from 450) and it won't go any higher there's not much else I can do with this box.

Vcore for the III+ is 2.0v, which is supported by the PA 2013. I just don't trust an unsupported beta BIOS.

Likewise, I'm waiting for DDR to settle down before building the next box.

G

I'm running a K63-450 on my kid's computer and it's running great. I put on an All-in-one-Wonder-Pro and the kids have fun watching movies and saving pictures. It's very stable and its running great. Just remember to put on a very good fan. I make my own using the cooling fins from the ones you buy in the store, but I buy a 1 inch thick fan from the electronics store. Also I have a case fan running.

PS: It's on a FIC PA 2013.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gorenc on 12/03/00 01:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>