LG VX-10 has lines / bars through the external lcd screen

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
September 15, 2004 11:38:28 AM

My VX-10 has the problem of the bars / lines through the external LCD
screen making it unreadable. I've seen other people with this problem
(here for instance: http://tinyurl.com/6n4ul). Does anyone know of a
way to fix it? Verizon has been no help (I purchased it just over a
year ago). They expect me to pony up $$$ for a new phone, plus sign
a two year contract. Give me a break. I just paid almost $100 for
this phone a year ago and I love it; I don't want another phone. I
just want to be able to see the external LCD.

Thanks,
-Ryan
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 7:19:45 PM

YOu can try this site for parts;
http://www.huahongnet.com/LG-LCD.htm#

It will probably cost more to repair the phone than replace it.

"Ryan" <zirconx9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My VX-10 has the problem of the bars / lines through the external LCD
> screen making it unreadable. I've seen other people with this problem
> (here for instance: http://tinyurl.com/6n4ul). Does anyone know of a
> way to fix it? Verizon has been no help (I purchased it just over a
> year ago). They expect me to pony up $$$ for a new phone, plus sign
> a two year contract. Give me a break. I just paid almost $100 for
> this phone a year ago and I love it; I don't want another phone. I
> just want to be able to see the external LCD.
>
> Thanks,
> -Ryan
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 5:28:05 AM

Just started happening to me last week. Annoying. Was told the same thing
by one Verizon store. I'll try another location store that seemed to be
more open to helping.

Can it just be opened and re-seated?

Carl

"Ryan" <zirconx9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My VX-10 has the problem of the bars / lines through the external LCD
> screen making it unreadable. I've seen other people with this problem
> (here for instance: http://tinyurl.com/6n4ul). Does anyone know of a
> way to fix it? Verizon has been no help (I purchased it just over a
> year ago). They expect me to pony up $$$ for a new phone, plus sign
> a two year contract. Give me a break. I just paid almost $100 for
> this phone a year ago and I love it; I don't want another phone. I
> just want to be able to see the external LCD.
>
> Thanks,
> -Ryan
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:58:57 PM

If your LG VX-10 has the lines through the LCD problem, I have some
help. If you can come with another VX-10, the screen is easy to
change.

First you need another VX-10 with a working screen. I noticed a
friend was using a VX-10 that looked like it had been through a war.
Scratches all over, finish worn off on all the corners, and the
antenna was broken off. I asked him about it, and he said he was
getting a new phone this weekend, and I could indeed have the old one.
Score!

Even if the outside of the screen looks scratched, don't worry, the
actual screen we will use is underneath that clear window. You will
need a T7 torx bit to open the phone. I got mine at Sears for about
$3. The head on this tool is very small, so don't get a cheap one
from Harbor Freight or something. Trust me, they don't work.

Four screws hold the top part of the phone together. Facing the main
inside screen, the top two screws are located under the rubber bumpers
that are on both sides of the ear piece. The bottom screws are
underneath the two round silver discs below the screen. You will be
able to replace the rubber bumpers when you are done, but probably not
the bottom two covers.

Once all the screws are out, the phone must be pried apart with a
small flat screwdriver. I made some marks on mine while trying to do
this, but it's worth it to have the working screen.

Once the phone is apart, the entire assembly in the top part of the
phone can be lifted out (both screens will end up being replaced on
your phone, it's all one unit). You will need to dislodge the ear
piece and the vibration-ringer. Then it will lift out. There is a
cable connected on the board at the bottom, it just pops off. The
hardest part (for some)is unsoldering the ground connection next to
this connector. But it was very easy for me. Just touch it with a
soldering iron and it comes apart.

Installation is the reverse of removal.
Hope this helps someone.

-Ryan