OneBadLT1Z28

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Hi everybody, I just purchased a 120 gig hard drive. I am planning to install XP but I was wondering how big of a partition should I create for the OS? 20 gigs? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sturm

Splendid
If you move the 'my documents' and internet temp folder to another drive and install all software to another drive you can easily get away with only a 10 or even 8 gig drive possibly even smaller but wouldnt recommend it sice xp needs room for the updates and patches.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I use 20 GB and try to keep it at least 50% free. Your OS partion experiences a lot of file changes and you don't want it to become fragmented too quickly.

If you are a major gammer you might think about 30 GB as games like half life 2 are getting to be huge.

Definately keep your My Documents, Desktop, Favorites, Email Store foler to another drive. Move your pagefiles as well for smaller backups.

I like using Mozilla since I can store my entire profile on D: which means my email and web browser is always up to date even when I restore from a backup or install a new OS.