Sign in with
Your question

How do i improve my ping while playing online games?

Last response: in Video Games
November 17, 2010 8:21:41 AM

Hey guys! ok, so heres the the thing.....i live in Cairo, Egypt. I have a 2 Mbps connection.....and my lap is a Dell Inspiron 14R.....nt exactly a gaming laptop...but i went for the cheapest.....its got Intel i5 n 4GB Ram n Ati Radeon 5470 with 1GB Vram n os is Win7 home premium

Connection methods...etc: my internet provider is TEData...n when i bought the internet package of 2mbps i got a free wireless router.....it has TEData logo on it but its actually a Huawei Echolife HG520b....if u do a search on it u will find some website calld talktalk or sumthin......im nt sure wat the deal is wit tht. anways i hav to plug my phone cable from the socket in the wall n use sum type of joiner to divide the phone line into two parts.
n so one phone line is connected from the socket to the thingy tht allows for me to use the same socket for two devices....one for my telephone (i dunno why but the guys at TEdata said tht i have to have telephone connected through the same socket evn though there r many more sockets in my house.).....n one for my wireless router....yes....this wireless router tht they gave me has a port for a phone line to be plugged into. n then it has 4 LAN ports.
a few weeks earlier after getting sick of having this stupid router tht TEData gave me randomly switch off all the time.. i bought a router which cnet said had the best range of all the routers they had tested so far: Belkin N+ wireless router. i was excited about it all the way from the shop to my home......but when i opened it n started to set it up....i found out tht it didnt have a phone line port in it n therefore....once again i had keep on using the TEData router......now i use the TEData router without the wifi n connect the belkin router to it n now i have to use both of them.... :(  :fou:  !!

AND HERE IS THE QUESTION: im playin COD MW2 online...n i hav tested frm pingtest.net to chck my ping n i get a grade D almost all the time...never do i get a ping better than tht!! thts like between 220 ping n 300 ping!!!!! :(  when im playin COD MW2 also it shows tht i hav arnd tht much ping!! :( ((
n one more thing: in the belkkin n+ wireless router there is a download status bar tht shows how much im downloading right nw....it works grt no prblm in it....(it works by lighting up blue LED lights....more lights, more download) n as u knw i still am using the TEData router, right.....n the thing is evn b4 i had the belkin router n used the TEData router only...i had bad ping n it had moods...like if it wanted to...i wont be able to watch a single youtube video coz when i start the video it will load for abt 1 minute...then suddenly it wont load anymore n i will hav to wait 1 more minute for the video to start streaming again n the same thing will keep on happening......n if at the same time i try to download sumthin......i wud b able to only download at 20- 40 kbps!! but when its in a good mood it will work. it will stream ust like any other router with a 2mbps connection wud n it wud download at anrd 200kbps n it will work grt! BUT, IT HAS GOD DAMN MOODS!! THE DAMN THING HAS MOODS!! :fou:  :fou: 
n nw evn when i hav the belkin router....the same thing happens......WHY?? BCOZ OF THE GOD DAMN TEData router!!

(i knw i wrotw this b4) i used www.pingtest.net to check my ping n i get a grade D thts abt 200 ping to 300 ping :(  bad ping.... tht doesnt change......even when the router is in its best moods.....o_O n wen the router is in its good mood...i tested the speed on www.speedtest.net n i got 1.75 Mbps but when its in its bad moods i get arnd 0.10 to 0.30 Mbps results......what a fun router!! >.<

SO IS THERE ANYWAY TO STOP THIS??

also it wud b grt if sum1 cud tell me if theres anyway to convert a phone line to a LAN without using a router....n if there isnt way to do tht....plz let me knw of a router modem tht has a phone line port in it... (a router without wifi)

once again to anyone who reads all of this...thnx a lot...n tom's hardware in general, thnx a lot!!
sry for the huge story above but atleast if sum1 reads all of it they will knw evrything they need to knw rite....hehehe
November 17, 2010 9:31:03 AM

Haan,
Bit of a long story there, first of all piracy is frowned upon by most of the well to do posters on this forum.
It is not liked by alot of the respected forum Mods.

By the look of it the phone line and distance from the phone exchange is the problem.
If the line is of poor quality,and the distance to the exchange far, plus the fact of a exchange under load you will get low speed`s at times and a high ping.
m
l
November 17, 2010 9:49:41 AM

Shaun o said:
Haan,
Bit of a long story there, first of all piracy is frowned upon by most of the well to do posters on this forum.
It is not liked by alot of the respected forum Mods.

By the look of it the phone line and distance from the phone exchange is the problem.
If the line is of poor quality,and the distance to the exchange far, plus the fact of a exchange under load you will get low speed`s at times and a high ping.

so, wat can I do abt tht??
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2010 3:19:13 PM

I think there's only 2 things you can do about it: nothing or put up with it.

Unless you move house so you're closer to the exchange, or switch to a provider that offers fibre-optic services.

I know nothing about telecommunications in Egypt, so you'll have to do the research yourself.
m
l
November 17, 2010 3:42:04 PM

:( 
m
l
November 18, 2010 1:08:28 AM

2 things, this is DSL service so all telephony devices (ie: phones, faxes, devices that need to connect to the phone service) need to be filtered to keep the noise that these devices to a minimum as not to interfere with the DSL signal, next you can log into dslmodem/router to disable the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone - Firewall), it's not suggested but this will cause less ping. No you are downloading at 20-40Kbps or about .2 - .4 Mbps, not even 1Mb which is slow for online gaming (it is suggested to have at least 3Mbps for online gaming) now it will run on slower service but ping high. The most likely cause is filters, I work for a DSL ISP and if you don't put filters, service is slow, if you do you should get closer to your actual download speed. Make sure NO FILTER on the line going to DSL modem. This should fix your problem.
m
l
November 18, 2010 9:36:29 AM

rattman169 said:
2 things, this is DSL service so all telephony devices (ie: phones, faxes, devices that need to connect to the phone service) need to be filtered to keep the noise that these devices to a minimum as not to interfere with the DSL signal, next you can log into dslmodem/router to disable the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone - Firewall), it's not suggested but this will cause less ping. No you are downloading at 20-40Kbps or about .2 - .4 Mbps, not even 1Mb which is slow for online gaming (it is suggested to have at least 3Mbps for online gaming) now it will run on slower service but ping high. The most likely cause is filters, I work for a DSL ISP and if you don't put filters, service is slow, if you do you should get closer to your actual download speed. Make sure NO FILTER on the line going to DSL modem. This should fix your problem.

honesttly......i didnt get anythin u jst said :S r u sayin tht i shud get a higher internet connection like 4mbps? i currently hav a 2mbps connection.....n hw do i make it no filter as u r sayin?? im a bit confused O_O prbbly bcoz im a noob at this stuff....but if u tell me wat do more specificly i can do it :D 
m
l
November 18, 2010 12:25:50 PM

you can go to a local electronics store and buy a phone filter (in Canada they are about $4 each). It looks like a small rat, a box on one side with a small telephone cable coming out of it. This is a DSL filter, you need one for everything that plugs into the phone jacks to keep the high noise level down that the phones and faxes make. you have a splitter already on, the little box that splits the line from one to two connectors (1 for phone, 1 for modem), what you need to do is then connect a filter to one side and plug phone into filter. If you have other phones, make sure a filter is plugged into those phone jacks. When you are done, all the phones that plug into the phone jacks on walls will have a filter on it, then the line (RJ-11) from the phones should be plugged into filters. You will then make sure the telephone line coming from modem does not have a filter before it is plugged into the splitter. This should then give you your proper speed as there will be no interference on the phone line coming to house. Also wireless is a little more tricky, but I can explain that to if needed. PS, keep cordless phones away from modem as they can be same frequency and cause problems.
m
l
November 18, 2010 4:51:31 PM

I think what he is describing as "sum type of joiner to divide the phone line into two parts." is the dsl filter.

The reason your router has a phone line connection is because it is a DSL modem and router in one. If you want to replace the router you will need to purchase a DSL modem to go inbetween your phone line (dsl) and the routher (ethernet). If you have other phones or fax machines in your house that are hooked up to the phone line without using one of those filters (joiner as you call it) they can interfere with the DSL signal, thats why they told you to plug your phone into it.

m
l
November 19, 2010 11:31:29 AM

@rattman169: oay so i shud get a phone filter? ok...i'll see if i can find one...
@benski: im prettty sure tht thing i called a joiner...is in fact a splitter...n no i dnt hav anymore phones in my house....
m
l
November 20, 2010 2:37:28 AM

benski, the one you linked is both a splitter/filter, that would be fine, but other phone jacks in the house would also need to be filtered.

This is splitter = http://www.nextag.com/Belkin-Series-RJ-11-3027508/price...

This is a filter = http://www.amazon.com/SUTTLE-Excellent-Performance-Qual...

It all depending if you use other phone jacks in the house.

So if you have just 1 phone, or 1 phone base with multiple phones and plugged into joiner/splitter, then the phone side needs to have the filter.=
m
l
November 20, 2010 6:50:21 AM

ok.....so i have one phone in my house so far....n the splitter tht i have is a rectangle one n but unlike the belkin splitter, it has three empty phone line ports, as in one in the front two in the back. what do u think tht is?
m
l
November 20, 2010 11:37:38 AM

That is the Adsl filter, the end with one on the front, goes into the sockett you would normaly just plug your home phone into on the wall.
On the other side of the belkin splitter, where there are two connections is where you plug a phone in one.
And for the other belking should of provided a lead to plug into the other sockett of the filter box then to the port on the back of the belking N router port that says ADSL.

m
l
November 21, 2010 3:59:51 PM

@shauno: so u're sayin tht tht is the filter so i dnt hav to buy another?
m
l
November 21, 2010 6:09:10 PM

if that truly is a filter then the high ping is due to distance from the ERX/CO. The ERX is the main box the phone line from the house connects to. All the houses in the area connect to this box and that connects to the main CO. So for DSL service you want to be at least within 1 mile, after that signal loss occurs, slow speed, high ping. this should be addressed by your ISP, a speedtest on there side will indicate you are not getting full speed and are considered Highspeed Lite (about 1/4 speed of true high speed service). They may need to change the ERX you are connected to to get much improved speed. I am not sure how the regulation for internet service works there, but in Canada and the US, if a client is not getting what they pay for, the ISP has to make sure you are getting the speed that you pay for or compensate you with a price reduction and refund. Check into it because if everything is fine on your side (filters and everything) it then become an issue for the ISP and they need to fix it.
m
l
November 23, 2010 12:14:45 PM

ok dude thnx for the heads up....i'll contact the isp soon n let u knw :D 
m
l
December 5, 2010 12:57:41 PM

blackhamachi said:
try this dudzz...awesome fix for the high pings for some kind of games it worked for me
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-Leatrix...

hey i did try tht.....sry for the late repl,y...but i saw this reply soon after u posted it...n i checkd if it works n it didnt n then i frgt to post a reply to it hehe
m
l
December 25, 2010 9:37:46 AM

ok guys i knw its been long since my last reply...but bleive me its exams n i hardly hav time for this.....SORRY!! btw i asked the ISP abt it over n over but they keep on saying tht there isnt anythin tht they can do abt it!!!!!!!!!!! they r @#$#^&!$ they wont t==do anythin...they said tht theres no problem with our system or cables or anythin....n tht they cant help me coz its ur pc n ur router n ur evrythin..... so theres nothing tht they're gona do abt this... but im gona borrow a netgear wireless DSL router to see if its a problem with the router tht i told u abt....
m
l
December 25, 2010 9:38:37 AM

n then we'll see wat the problem is n i'll let u guys know...ok? hope u guys rnt pissed...
m
l
!