What is the 760 chipset and DDR??

G

People have been telling me to hold off on my upgrade until the DDR RAM stuff comes out. What is that stuff and how does it compare with SDRAM and what is the price/performance?

thanks

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As far as DDR goes, there are new chipsets coming out in December and January which have the capability to use DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM. As you have probably heard, AMD athlons/durons use a "double-pumped" system bus which means they transfer data to the system bus on both the rising and falling edge of the digital pulse. This results in an effective Front side bus of 200MHz (100MHZ bus double pumped). Until now the SDRAM only supports bus speeds of 133MHz or so and current chipsets couldn't take advantage of the increased Bus speed at least in the memory transfer. The new chipsets however will support DDR RAM which results in PC1600 and PC2100 (PC-200 and PC-266) RAM. This has been shown to increase system performance by about 10-15% using AMD's new chipset. Many people are waiting for these new motherboards to become available. There is also a new Athlon coming out in the next month or two that will support a 133MHz FSB (266MHz). The prices will be slightly higher than current stuff, especially at first. Everyone wants DDR so for the first month or so boards will be kind of pricy. I will wait until late January probably to buy mine. Right now Micron is selling PC2100 128meg DDR CAS2 for like 112 bucks shipping included. Boards will probably be around 160. Hope that helps.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"