What does it mean to start XP in fail safe mode?

pellel

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I am new to the (for me) advanced part of OS and hardware. I have read that XP can be started in fail safe mode if there are any problems. Now I wonder what it means to start the computer in fail safe mode.

Which are the typical reasons for starting in fail safe mode?
What does it mean and what happens when the OS is started like that (what is different from normal boot process)?
What should one be aware of when running the OS and fail safe is activated (will I end up in DOS and be forced to learn DOS-commands or anything else)?
How is it accomplished (keyboard keys)?

Hope you want to help me out here..

sturm

Splendid
to get to 'Safe Mode' hit F8 when the computer is booting - before the windows xp comes up.
Safe mode only loads a basic set of drivers to get the computer running, doesnt load the startup programs and is limited on what can be done.
Safe mode is used if you installed some bad drivers or another program that prevents the computer from loading normally. It wont take you to dos commands.
If you want Dos style commands you need to run the recovery console which is normally loaded off the installation cd. This is used as a last ditch effort to get the computer running. Normally only used to replace certain files that cant be done when the normal or safe mode os is loaded.