Sign in with
Your question

Steam game deavtivation

Last response: in Video Games
November 18, 2010 12:19:46 PM

howzit guys.
i bought cod black ops yesterday, and installed it then activated it with steam.
iv finished it today and my friend wants to borrow it, but i need to deactivate it, but i cant find a way to do this, as steam is being stingy and horrid, just as usual!

do u guys know of anyway to deactivate it?
thanx in advance!
November 18, 2010 2:22:40 PM

NO!!!!!!!!!

What would be the point of steam allowing that?????

You buy it, it is tied your account, how bloody hard is it for people to understand that.

Do your understand what a licensing agreement is.
November 18, 2010 3:34:04 PM

How rude of you! Who gave you a right to leave such a reply? I wanted to know, so I started a thread and I expected a proper response or none at all! Maybe you came acros this info but I didn't! Did that ever occur to you? I just wanted a yes or no, and so you post a rude, uncivilized reply?
What were YOU thinking?
Related resources
November 18, 2010 6:17:42 PM

give your friend access to your steam account. they should then be able to install/play the game on his computer

you might not be able to use steam while they are, but that is pretty much the only way...
November 18, 2010 7:50:44 PM

Then google for it, this is not exactly new, it gets asked all the time with people bitching and moaning about not "owning" games and not being able to resell them, or give them away. Did you not read the terms of agreement, I am sure it explains it all there.

Sorry if you think this is rude but I think you are thick as two planks of wood, very thing planks of wood at that.
November 20, 2010 9:16:50 AM

strangestranger said:
Then google for it, this is not exactly new, it gets asked all the time with people bitching and moaning about not "owning" games and not being able to resell them, or give them away. Did you not read the terms of agreement, I am sure it explains it all there.

Sorry if you think this is rude but I think you are thick as two planks of wood, very thing planks of wood at that.

That 'was' kinda rude dude! The guy merely asked for assistance, which is what this forum is all about, isn't it? He didn't say he wants to indulge in piracy or something. The query is quite legitimate, imho. Putting up queries here is the same as googling for an answer. Sure, there 'are' those dumbasses who keep asking on ways how to indulge in piracy. But we shouldn't jump straight to the conclusion that everyone is doing the same. Give the benefit of doubt next time around?

To the OP:
Steam games are linked with your account, so only the user has access to them. They do not permit transfer of games once purchased, you'll need to buy it as a gift for your friend. The other way is like jefe323 said....give your friend access to your account, but he'll have to first download the game in order to play it on his machine. Mind you, that would, in a way be similar to piracy, though not exactly. As long as your account is in use by another person, you won't be able to access it. Just get your friend to buy it. Or let him come over to your place and play it on your rig.

Steam isn't being stingy....it's ensuring that downloaded games don't end up being sold by people who bought them. In short, it's protecting products from being pirated. It's an online shop of sorts, you pay for what you want....nothing more, nothing less. And this move is welcomed by majority of the users.
November 20, 2010 4:30:19 PM

Thnx guys
He went and bought it today... But Now I know wat to expect next time...
November 24, 2010 9:37:19 AM

"Expect next time".....from what/ whom/ where?
November 24, 2010 3:41:10 PM

option 3: Create a new account for every game, install that game with the new Steam account. You then can sell\give the account with the game. This not allowed per the TOS.
November 26, 2010 5:04:31 PM

i like ur idea olin...
December 5, 2010 6:03:09 PM

Hahahah . . . now that's funny stuff, informative but none the less funny. Sigh* where has netiquette gone these past years.
!