Strafe-jumping is back!

Not sure if any of you noticed, but I was checking out the CTF maps that
came with RoE and just out of habit I tried a strafe-jump when I jumped from
the upper to the lower level of the first map, and it launched me about 3x
as far as a normal running jump would have... After messing around with it
some, it seems I still need a lot of practice at it. It's going to take
some getting used to because the "feel" for SJ'ing isn't the same as it is
in Q3, but it can be done. I seem to get the best acceleration on a normal
SJ by landing on a downward slope and jumping at the same time, kind of like
the way ramp jumping worked in Q2 but with the slope going in the other
direction.

Yes!!! And it's a welcome sight. I'm tired of all these slow assed games
that try and level the playing field for the n00bs. Let 'em learn like we
did, strafe or die!!!

Seriously, I thought maybe I had found a substitute for my Q3 addiction with
HL2CTF, but that sprint bar thingy just pisses me off to no end. As soon as
you pick up some speed your sprint bar runs out, wtf? I'm a 48 yr old goat
and can run full speed for longer than 4 seconds, followed by a smoke break
of course.....

One thing I noticed Lotek, is that if you hit the jump button in the air
whether strafing or bunnyhopping, you land and kill your jump and speed, but
still hear the player jump/grunt sound. I guess that was id's feeble attempt
at placating the n00bs. Seems like an easy enough adjustment from q2/q3
strafe technique though. All we need now are some servers to start popping
up. I think I'm gonna order up some hdwe. and put up a 6 slot box (only 384k
up). I'm in the new orleans area for anybody hanging around that may ping
good to south central US. I'll post in a few days when the box is up so we
can investigate this further :) I just love Threewave stuff...

"LoTekGuru" <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if any of you noticed, but I was checking out the CTF maps that
> came with RoE and just out of habit I tried a strafe-jump when I jumped
> from the upper to the lower level of the first map, and it launched me
> about 3x as far as a normal running jump would have... After messing
> around with it some, it seems I still need a lot of practice at it. It's
> going to take some getting used to because the "feel" for SJ'ing isn't the
> same as it is in Q3, but it can be done. I seem to get the best
> acceleration on a normal SJ by landing on a downward slope and jumping at
> the same time, kind of like the way ramp jumping worked in Q2 but with the
> slope going in the other direction.

"LoTekGuru" <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if any of you noticed, but I was checking out the CTF maps that
> came with RoE and just out of habit I tried a strafe-jump when I jumped
> from the upper to the lower level of the first map, and it launched me
> about 3x as far as a normal running jump would have... After messing
> around with it some, it seems I still need a lot of practice at it. It's
> going to take some getting used to because the "feel" for SJ'ing isn't the
> same as it is in Q3, but it can be done. I seem to get the best
> acceleration on a normal SJ by landing on a downward slope and jumping at
> the same time, kind of like the way ramp jumping worked in Q2 but with the
> slope going in the other direction.

Oh, great. I never was much of a jumper. I could get to the megahealth on
q2dm1 but that was pretty much my only accomplishment. I guess that's why I
played a lot of games with hooks.

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

Cy Edmunds wrote:
> "LoTekGuru" <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote in message
>> Not sure if any of you noticed, but I was checking out the CTF maps
>> that came with RoE and just out of habit I tried a strafe-jump when
>> I jumped from the upper to the lower level of the first map, and it
>> launched me about 3x as far as a normal running jump would have... After
>> messing around with it some, it seems I still need a lot of
>> practice at it. It's going to take some getting used to because the
>> "feel" for SJ'ing isn't the same as it is in Q3, but it can be done.
>> I seem to get the best acceleration on a normal SJ by landing on a
>> downward slope and jumping at the same time, kind of like the way
>> ramp jumping worked in Q2 but with the slope going in the other
>> direction.
>
> Oh, great. I never was much of a jumper. I could get to the
> megahealth on q2dm1 but that was pretty much my only accomplishment.
> I guess that's why I played a lot of games with hooks.

That's OK Cy, I never even learned about sj'ing until after Q3 came out. I
used to wonder why all the guys that could whoop up on me were jumping
around the Edge like a madman. I thought they were just taunting me like
"I'm even going to jump so you can hear where I am at all times, and STILL
kick your ass!" LOL