Known Problems with Abit KA7?

G

I've been trying to get my system up and running but I'm having a few issues, that I have reason to believe are related to my motherboard.

I'm running an Abit KA7 ATA66 motherboard, SBLive! Value, 256MB Micron PC133 ram, Voodoo5 5500, under Win98 SE.

I've been having a bitch of a time getting the sound card installed. I've tried moving it around to different pci slots(and also tried with a fresh OS reinstall) and suceeded only once to get the machine to recognize and install the drivers for it...of course the machine didn't boot properly afterward, and screwed the install...The machine periodically reboots again during a reboot.

Additionally, I've had strange graphical artifacting appear in a game that I had working well, on another machine of mine Dell 333 PII. This graphical problem manifests as a wierd poly stretching. It happens with my Voodoo card as well as with my Diamond Viper v770 TNT2 Ultra card. This leads me to believe that it has something to do with my motherboard.

I also had problems earlier with having too much ram, under WIN98 (I had a GIG) so I pulled most of it back out, and now I'm down to 256...which seems to be more stable...but far from ideal.

Please help anyway you can. If you have links that discuss the bugs with the Abit KA7, I'd love to see them...

Thanks!!

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
no probs w/ my KA7 :
SBLive xgamer
GF2 (fast writes off in bios for Win ME)
NIC
SCSI
Hollywood Live

Did you mess with Bios?
DON'T TAOUCH JUMPERS ON THE BOARD!!!
mem all the same?
mem at right speed in Bios?
any conflicts of irq's (Device manager will help here)

possibly try a reset setting in PNP in bios (shouldn't need to if no legacy cards)

good luck man!!!

G

Are you aware of this site?

<A HREF="http://www.apushardware.com/faqs/ka7faq/ka7faq.htm" target="_new">http://www.apushardware.com/faqs/ka7faq/ka7faq.htm</A>

Mike

G

I am using the SBLive and it works OK. It's Using Irqs 7 and 9. ACPI is using 3, GE Force MX is using 5, network is on 10 and HighPoint is on 11. Ensure you are using the correct SB Live drivers.

On my Asus A7V however, the SB is only using 1 IRQ. THe dos emulation IRQ is not being recognized.