ineedaname8

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Basically what I'm wondering is if any games use/can use 4gb or more ram. I have 4gb of ram right now but its only $80 for 4gb more. So i'm wondering if anyone knows if newer games within the next year or so will be 64 bit and use 4gb+ ram since i don't think there are any games yet than can even use 4gb+ ram.

It isn't about games that use 4GB's, it is about games which may use close to the amount of free ram you have. In saying that I don't know many games that need that much. Supreme commander is the only one I have that can use about 2GB of ram.

Please also note that most games are still 32-bit and cannot use more than the standard 2GB of ram.

So really unless you are going over or coming close to the max amount of ram I would leave it, I only got 8GB because it was pretty cheap to do.

AfterImage

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Also note that a lot of people still use 32bit systems. Game companies will need to consider that as a big part of their market they are selling the game to. So the developers will not be able to use that extra memory.

Of course, this is just speculation. Until you really need the extra memory for something in particular, I would put that $80 into something else.

redinsanemetroid

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Normally, I would say just get 4GB since 8GB is clearly overkill for whatever game you plan to run and whatever marginal performance boost you can get out of it for 8GB is gonna be just that, marginal.

However, I just saw somewhere (sorry, forgot where) in which the 8GB kit was only $40 more than the 4GB kit, so that price I would opt for the 8GB.

geniusender

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
hey ineedaname8,
4 GB RAM is quite enough.There is no such game that demands 4GB of RAM.
As far as the question about upcoming computer games.
Developers are making upcoming games with advanced softwares.
And they are improving the coding of the games.So actually they are trying to reduce the game requirements.
Your 4GB RAM is actually future proof with every aspect.

bystander123

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Current games do not allocate this much (8 gb) of physical memory. 4 gb is more than enough. In fact, the whole operating system (along with whatever game running) never go upto that level. So, you would get zero result, no in-game difference at all!

Windows 7 64-bit can get pretty close, but I've never run out of RAM yet.

vvarreng

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Windows 7's manual states that it requires 2gb of ram (I think for back-up primarily) so with that in mind, could that influence a program that requires a lot of resources such as a pc game? not to mention all computers have other resources running in the background aside from the OS and gaming. This is only a question, not a reference to buying more ram.

psychophat

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

Currently all games that were developed and unmodified still caps at 2GB on execution and 3.5GB on resources for the 32-bit but on 64-bit it will use any unused but still depending on the architecture of the game on how much will it consume.

Modified game executables now can go up to 4GB on execution and 64GB cap on resources for the 32-bit which is the same on 64-bit. Meaning that the upper ranges are unlocked and is now usable by the system and the resources of the game. But there are tweaks as well with each game for example Fallout 3/NV can be tweaked via the .ini file to use more than 4GB to cache resource gfx data without experiencing any issues. Other games as well can be tweaked via there configuration file.

It all depends on you if your going to push it more than the default or play it safe. I've pushed my Fallout NV eat 8GB of ram for just resource and to perform like a console top that am on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

The last level in Crysis actually uses more than 4GB of RAM, and RAM is used as a swap for VRAM, so more always helps at higher settings.

jksarma

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Actually 4GB physical RAM is sufficient for any application/Game in 32 bit OS. I found more efficiancy installing 8 GB DDR3 RAM with 32bit Windows 7 after installing RAMDISK and allocated Swap Memory in the RAMDISK partition. I use Gavotte Ramdist for installing RAMDISK.
JK

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Lets not forget, 8 GB is not very expensive to pull off. In addition the more RAM installed the higher your bandwidth, lower your seek times, and just becuase a game can only allocate 4GB of RAM doesn't mean windows isnt using any or your browser. On top of that Windows won't use the page file as much meaning faster load times and smoother operation over all, and if you use an SSD, longer life span.

Also be sure to note your GPU can use up to the amount of RAM it has to comunicate with the CPU, a card under full load on average uses at least 1 GB of your system RAM in order to operate at full speed.

4GB is not enough anymore, and almost every one has a 64bit OS on their PC. You need to consider headroom, if you remember on your last 4GB PC you had the more you were running the less RAM you had available the slower your device got.

Dunlin

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
I have 12gb of ddr3 ram installed on my 64bit pc and when playing some games it uses up to 40% or 4.8gb, I have even seen spikes of 45% or 5.4gb. I would go with 8gb, it should be good for any games.

CODMaster2004

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015

Hey geniusender,
I think paying the extra $80 for 8gb ram is what you need. Lets say im playing Titanfall with 4gb ram and i have applications open, you might need more ram because Titanfall uses 2-4 gb ram and then your applications may use 1-2 gb ram. Thats why i think 8gb ram is worth it for gaming. :)