flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
My friend just got a second hard drive (faster and larger) so we decided to transfer the contents of his current hdd to the new one. We set up the new 200GB as the master and the old 80GB as the slave and used Norton Ghost to copy hdd, selecting the copy MBR too. We restarted the comp tho and get hard drive config aint right, windows won't start. Did I do something wrong and if so how do I fix it?

<font color=white>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=white>
<font color=green>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=green>
<font color=red>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=red>

lasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As a start, disconnect the new 200GByte drive and take the old 80GByte hard disk and change the jumper to master and check that your system still work.

If it works you know that you have not by mistake copied the emptyness of a new drive to the old one.

If it does not work, boot with a floppy and check with fdisk or similiar that you still have partitions on you old drive. If not, pray you have a backup.

If it works try again to use Ghost. You can keep your old drive as master and connect the new one as slave. Just keep in mind which is which when you do the decisions in Ghost.
I once had problem with Ghost 2001 and Windows XP. It all worked well with Ghost 2003 so I did not go back to 2001.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
After copying the old drive to the new, did you then disconnect the old drive and install the new one as "master" while leaving the old one disconnected?

....WW (5.0)

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
With older versions of Ghost you had to prepare the destination drive by starting a Windows XP installation to the drive then cancelling when it reached the copying files stage.

This puts some soft of XP Voodoo somewhere outside the files system (MBR, Partion Table, early sector on hard drive who knows).

From then on you can ghost XP onto that drive no problem just by Ghosting the partion as normal. I wouldn't touch the MBR.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
This is ghost 2005, and yes it copied the correct source HDD cause with only the 200GB in as master I popped in a windows xp disc and went to recovery console and checked that it had everything. Is there something with unlocking windows? I doubt it cause this is just a diff hdd.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Its not a problem with Product Activation. If that happened you would given x number of days to Reactivate.

1) What Service Pack are you running? I am not 100% but I think you need at least SP1a to use drives > 137GB.

2) Did you verify that you can still boot with just the 80GB drive connected?

3) Did you try booting with just the 200GB connected?

4) Try a clean install of XP with just the 200GB installed and see if that works. Use a XP SP1a or XP SP2 installation CD, if you don't have one now would be a good time ot make one. An unnattended version would also be handy.

If 2) Works, 3) Doesn't but 4) Does then something went wrong with the transfer.

You can either try again with Ghost 2005, or use a Ghost 2003 floppy which I know will work.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Screw Norton, I used Acronis True Image and it worked like a charm.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I am still trying to get Ghost 2005 to work right myself.

Transfered by OS from PATA drive to SATA drive, booted fine buy ghost changed the drive letter to R:!

Started having weird problems as most apps expected to be on C:

Now I am going to select copy MBR and I removed the drive letter from the destination drive. Hopefully windows will make it C: :)

So far Ghost 2005 is working great so I am giving it a 2nd try. Plus I didn't read the manual yet.