Motherboard recommendation

G

Hi All. I am looking for a board that will work for a flip chip Pentium 3. I'm not sure of the mhz because it will be a gift that a friend will be receiving, but I believe it will be an 800 to 933 mhz. I am going to build it for him. I also believe it will be the 133 mhz buss version of one of those chips. His son also is dead set on a Voodoo 5 64MB video card bacause of the support for the games that he plays. I believe it's AGP 4x, so we were looking for a board with AGP 4x support, and possibly UATA 100 support for the hard drive. Anything I should look out for? Any case, power supply, cpu fan, hard drive and 17" monitor recommendations would also be appreciated.

Because he might add components later, he was thinking of getting a CompUSA tower case with the 4 large drive bays, 2 small bays, and a 300 watt power supply. About $60 locally.
He was also looking at the UATA 100, 30 GB 7200 rpm 2MB cache hard drive from IBM. I was leaning towards pricewatch.com for this item since it's so high here locally.
We might get the ram from a local dealer that sells Micron 128MB PC 133 chips for about $80 with tax though it might have gone down a little more. I have had ram problems once before and I am a little cautious about buying ram over the net.
For CD-ROM, he was looking at an ACER 50x, also from the local dealer for about $50. He will upgrade to a CD-RW when he can afford it later. For the monitor, we were checking out the Viewsonic EF70 for about $256 from Onvia.com. I know his son will want to run the video card at high resolution rates the Quake games that he plays.

If you know of a dealer online you could recommend buying all or most of this stuff to save a few bucks and taxes, that might be the route we will go. Sorry for such a damn, long post. But I'm sure there's a gamer out there that might have a similiar system and some pointers. Thanks and good holiday season. Robert

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I recommend the Asus CUSL2 to just about everybody. Read Tom's reviews on it for the full scoop. I am running a PIII/700 at 933MHZ on mine without a hitch. Just about any large cooling fan will work for this configuration (I am using a stock PIII 933 cooling fan on mine, with the processor core at 1.7V, and the temp only increased by 1 degree C over stock setings). The nice thing about this settup is that, at a 133MHZ system bus, everything but the processor is running at spec (only the processor is overclocked). There is also UDMA 100 support on this board. In order to maintain the best reliability I am recommending the PIII 700 overclocked to 933, because of the inherent speed limit of about 980MHZ on most PIII processors. A 650 would require custom bus settings that may not work with some cards or memory, and, in most cases, the PIII750 will NOT overclock to 1GHZ. So stick to the 700 at 933 for the best performance to price ratio.
As for memory, Crucial is offering good prices right now, and, being direct from Micron, you can count on getting a good memory chip.

G

Thanks for the info Crashman. We ordered the Asus CUSL2 board, soundcard (SB Live Value), Acer 50x, keyboard, mouse, speakers and Voodoo 5500 from PC-Beyond last night. We ordered the monitor (a 17' Viewsonic PS 75?? series) and IBM hard drive from another vendor who I can't recall at the moment. His wife is going to pick up the case tomorrow. Wish me luck!!! Robert