I'm looking for the best Athlon motherboard

G

Hello all, I've got an Athlon 650 on a Gigabyte 7IX motherboard. The Gigabyte board has given me nothing but problems and their support is non-existent. The board has fried 3 MS intellimouses, one IDE controller, and a Sound Blaster Live! card. I need to get my hardware off this board before it kills something else!

I've been out of the loop for a while now so I'm wondering if there are any new developments in Athlon boards that I should be aware of. I recall that the Asus K7V and the Abit KA7 were supposed to be solid boards about 5 months ago. Can you recommend one of these boards or do you know of another that I should look at? Thanks a lot for you help.

Scott

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mellowfellow on 12/02/00 11:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I believe you have the lettering backwards on teh mobo's but who cares. I have an Abit KA7 but I would lean towards the Asus. Either way they are great.

Hope your power supply is good. AMD requires a better than ave. power supply to start with. Or one of your cards isn't giving you the prob. Best of luck.

Why not send the board back Gig or your dealer?

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you have a socket A Athlon then the Abit KT7, KT7-Raid and ASUS A7V are good. I have the A7V and it works fine. I even spilled water on it when it was running. It still works great but my voodoo3 3k died. I just ordered the Abit KT7-Raid though. I want the second computer for a faster system. I need the extra PCI slot. The Abit also has an ISA slot if you need that. otherwise if you have a Slot A Athlon go for the Asus K7V and the Abit KA7, KA7-100.

AMD for Life!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Both those Asus and Abit board are good.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

G

If you check out AMD's website they will give recommendations for motherboards for the Athlon processor. I personally like Tyan motherboards. They have a great warranty and they are very well put together. The tech support answers questions without making you feel like an idiot.

Hope this helps!

WyldAngel