Connecting 2 computers

Tags:
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 9, 2004 8:06:33 PM

I have a Windows 98SE Desktop with a BT Voyager card installed.I also have a
Laptop windows XP with a PC card installed.

The router works fine,I connect to my broadband both at same time no prob.

Security and everything installed correctly.

What I want to do is :

I use my laptop more because more updated.
1) I want to use my printer on my Desktop.
2) and share files between the 2 occasionally.

Could someone please do me a step by step guide on how to do this.Eternally
grateful.

I am not no expert at this.It has taken me all weekend to connect the 2.

Thanks in advance...

More about : connecting computers

November 9, 2004 8:17:57 PM

"Kevin" <kevstacey41@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I have a Windows 98SE Desktop with a BT Voyager card installed.I also have
> Laptop windows XP with a PC card installed.
>
> The router works fine,I connect to my broadband both at same time no prob.
>
> Security and everything installed correctly.
>
> What I want to do is :
>
> I use my laptop more because more updated.
> 1) I want to use my printer on my Desktop.
> 2) and share files between the 2 occasionally.
>
> Could someone please do me a step by step guide on how to do
this.Eternally
> grateful.
>
> I am not no expert at this.It has taken me all weekend to connect the 2.
>
> Thanks in advance...

Install NetBEUI, and do the local sharing through NetBEUI. (Most people do
not have this arrangement. Their TCP/IP sharing will not get into your
files).

Link to: Set NetBEUI as the Default Sharing Protocol in WinXP.
http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html

Kevin..JoJo here...does this help at all??
November 9, 2004 8:33:37 PM

microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
might also try this newsgroup...that's where I found the other info.

"Kevin" <kevstacey41@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I have a Windows 98SE Desktop with a BT Voyager card installed.I also have
> Laptop windows XP with a PC card installed.
>
> The router works fine,I connect to my broadband both at same time no prob.
>
> Security and everything installed correctly.
>
> What I want to do is :
>
> I use my laptop more because more updated.
> 1) I want to use my printer on my Desktop.
> 2) and share files between the 2 occasionally.
>
> Could someone please do me a step by step guide on how to do
this.Eternally
> grateful.
>
> I am not no expert at this.It has taken me all weekend to connect the 2.
>
> Thanks in advance...

Related resources
November 9, 2004 8:47:56 PM

Kevin, did you see this???????
I'm trying to help as I'll be in the same boat soon....jojo

"RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
news:D 3d3b4c8.0411090735.77d7d8ad@posting.google.com...
> Hi, I am looking for some help setting up file and print sharing
> between a WIN XP pro PC using a 3com ethernet car hardwired to a
> Netgear MR814v2 router and a WIN 98 Laptop using a Netgear PCMCIA
> wirless network adaptor. The router is connected the the internet
> using a WIFI radio connetion to my ISP.
>
> Prior to going to wireless router setup as described above, I had file
> and print sharing working using a Motorola Home networkin setup, no
> router, no internet connection. Just using a Motorola bridge.
>
> I have set these small peer to peer networks up several times before
> with no problems.
>
> My workgroup name is these same and file and print sharing is properly
> setup, however, I cant see the other machine and visa versa anymore.
>
> Should I be running NETBUI over TCP?IP ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I've got a wireless linksys network with two XP computers and a Win 98
computer and have file sharing enabled on each machine. I found it
necessary to run NetBEUI on each machine to share files with the Win 98
machine. To install that protocol on the XP maxhine, you need to use the
XP install disc and manually navigate to the correct folder. On my disc,
NetBEUI is located at VALUEADD | MSFT | NET | NETBEUI.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 9:03:56 PM

Although NetBEUI can help with security, it's not at all necessary.
On the XP machine run the network wizard and use the XP disk on the 98
machine to add the network info there.
You only need to ensure that both machines use the same Workgroup name, but
each must have distinct names of their own.
You should get networked right away (you might need to disable browse master
in the 98 machine)
Keep the printer connected to the wired machine and add the printer as a
network printer to the remote machine.

!