G

Hi there. Just put together a new system consisting of:

Asus A7v Rev1.02
T-bird 900
256MB Crucial PC133
Asus V-7700 GF2 GTS
SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1
Linksys 10/100TX

After tweaking an install, I installed WinMe just fine, and it runs very well. But I cannnot stand using this OS day to day since it's very unreliable. So I went to install Win2k. After a smooth install, everything was working very smoothly. Much better than in Me. That is, untill I downloaded SP1. After the reboot I got a stop error/blue screen. It said to reboot. I did. It did it again. I tried to boot in safe mode to uninstall SP1, and I still got the error.

Any suggestions? I could feasibly format the Win2k drive and reinstall it, but I'd rather figure out how to fix it instead.

THanx
Jazzman

That burning rubber smell means that it's working.

G

It will probably be faster to re-install your system, but with no details about your problem it's difficult to say, if you decide to re-install try slipstreaming the service pack...in other words: copy the I386 folder from the windows 2000 CD to your hard drive apply the service pack with the /S: switch to that directory. Then install over the network, or put it on a second partition of your hard disk boot from a Dos boot disk and run winnt.exe...by the way you need a Fat or Fat 32 preformatted partition of at least 2Gb for this to work.
Sandman65

G

I have Win2k Server and my setup completely crashed after installing SP1. My guess is that if you don't "need" the service pack I wouldn't install it. I hope this isn't a sign of more things to come from M$, or they can forget about beating up Novell NDS.

G

I know what you're talking about as I've had this situation before with NT4 SP4 or installing ie 5.5 on my NT4 server.

You may be able to rescue yourself by leaving in only the most basic cards and trying to reboot.

Another problem is with the IDE (or SCSI) driver. Is it possible it can't understand your Promise controller? Maybe put your drive onto the IDE slot as opposed to the ATA100 slot (or vica versa depending on how you set it up). It may have disabled of of the IDE (or SCSI) drivers. This happened to me and I fixed it by reinstalling NT and choosing the upgrade option.