Is this a good gaming pc?

MrPitt

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
antec 900 series case

p43neo 3 motherboard (MSI)

q8300 cpu 2.5ghz overclocked to 3 ghz

8 gigs of ddr2 800mhz kingston ram (400mhz)

evga geforce gtx 260 overclocked to 600mhz

700 watt power supply (coolermaster)

windows 7 ultimate

victordilorenzo

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I have a core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram and a gtx 260 I can max everything except crysis, which I can play mostly on max minus some effects and stuff.

You may want to try and i5 processor, and 6 gigs of ram. Wont be much more expensive, but a lot faster than the core 2

emyyhh

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Its a fine gaming rig. Will handle all game out atm, although you may have to adjust some graphical settings with newer titles.

I simply don't see the point in 'upgrading' to DDR3, if you're going to spend any money either buy a new GPU (at least a GTX 460, or 6850) or an SSD. Any other worthwhile upgrades would require a total system overhaul IMO, which is not needed at the moment.

geniusender

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
hey MrPitt,
Your rig is powerful enough to play any game released uptil now.
U will be having good FPS in nearly all of the games.
U r having good CPU as well as GPU.
You will be able to play all of the games at full high settings except some.
As far as ur GPU is concerned.It is really good but if u want better than go for GTX 460 otherwise no problem at all.
U are having good configurations.Stay with it.
......................................................................................................................................
N remember,there is not a prominent difference Between DDR2 and DDR3 RAM.
......................................................................................................................................
But if u are having money n want to stay with new technology then u should go for the Motherboard having LGA socket 1156
so that u can put Core i5 or Core i7(8-series) processors on it.
N if u want better then Go for LGA socket 1366 for Core i7 (9-series).
So the conclusion is u have a damn powerful rig but if u want to upgrade then its your choice.
On the whole ur rig is able to play nearly all of the games on high settings except some.
Best of luck.

geniusender

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Buddy i am sure GTA 4 will be more challenging to your PC as compared to Crysis.

MrPitt

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
hard to pick the best answers cause they are all good, forgot to mention that i had a h50 cpu cooler,purchased an extra hdd, (seagate barracuda 7200 rpm 1.5tb ) just for storage, my performance scores from top to bottom are 7.2 , 7.2 , 7.2 ,7.2 and little 5.9 for disk performance so that means base score is 5.9 wich is is a bummer, anyway to increase my base score without spending on a tiny little solid state drive?

geniusender

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hello MrPitt,
SSD is expensive with respect to its memory.
De-fragment your hard disk.It may give u a performance boost.
By the way SSD is quite faster than SATA or IDE in every aspect.
Best of luck.