Sign in with
Your question

Hackentosh help

Last response: in Mac Os X
October 29, 2011 7:58:26 PM

Hello,I have as ASUS P5K-E motherboard running 10.7.6 that's been working great until 2 days ago when I boot up and my dvd drive disappeared. I switched busses. Still no drive. Put drive in usb box and tested it on roomate's pc. Works fine. My machine won't read it on usb either, yet all of my usb and firewire devices are fine.It does show up in bios. I ran virus software: nothing.

Is there a way to install drivers in Snow Leopard? Is there something else I'm missing completely? Oh, yeah, fixing permissions doesn't seem to make a diff.
Please Help

More about : hackentosh

October 30, 2011 12:14:00 AM

Spikem123 said:
Hello,I have as ASUS P5K-E motherboard running 10.7.6 that's been working great until 2 days ago when I boot up and my dvd drive disappeared. I switched busses. Still no drive. Put drive in usb box and tested it on roomate's pc. Works fine. My machine won't read it on usb either, yet all of my usb and firewire devices are fine.It does show up in bios. I ran virus software: nothing.

Is there a way to install drivers in Snow Leopard? Is there something else I'm missing completely? Oh, yeah, fixing permissions doesn't seem to make a diff.
Please Help

10.7.6 eh? :heink: 
m
l
November 6, 2011 1:33:52 AM

Please pardon my typo. I have a new motherboard coming, but something tells me that mine is a software problem.

And, as it turns out, the DVD writer will only write CDs through the usb bus. I would like very much to move on to a genuine Mac, but I need both PCI and PCIe slots to use my uad cards.
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2011 2:06:51 AM

Ok let me get this straight. You have a ?Sata DVD drive that disappeared from Mac OSX 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard), and from there you moved it to a USB cage and tested it on your Mac and another computer and it works fine on another computer. Correct?

It would seem if this is true that your Mac forgot how to identify an Optical drive or it is not mounting the device to the system. Just a wonder does Mac know the device is there under System(Hardware?) Information or is it not even showing up there as being connected. I'm assuming that your Hard Drive was also connected to the same device on a different port when inside the computer. (Correct?)
m
l
November 18, 2011 5:28:29 AM

6007,4,81222 said:
Ok let me get this straight. You have a ?Sata DVD drive that disappeared from Mac OSX 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard), and from there you moved it to a USB cage and tested it on your Mac and another computer and it works fine on another computer. Correct?

It would seem if this is true that your Mac forgot how to identify an Optical drive or it is not mounting the device to the system. Just a wonder does Mac know the device is there under System(Hardware?) Information or is it not even showing up there as being connected. I'm assuming that your Hard Drive was also connected to the same device on a different port when inside the computer. (Correct?)

That is correct,sir.

It does not show up at all through the sata bus (is bus incorrect usage here? I'm a retired audio engineer and that's a leftover term for directing signal in certain directions), and will only burn CD on the USB bus. It will read all media through usb but won't play a movie in DVD Player.

I have just received a new motherboard, but I want to try all other options. I'm disabled now and it takes me forever to do what used to be the simplest tasks.

Thanks for thinking of me. I'm open to all suggestions.

Spike

m
l
!