  • CD-Rom
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
April 18, 2005 4:24:35 PM

When Doom 3 was installed originally last year, I believe the CD was always
required to be in to run the game.

Since installing RE, it appears the the CD is no longer required in either
Doom or RE? Has anyone else noticed this?

More about : required

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 4:24:36 PM

"Tom Dauphin" <tdauphin@earthlink.net> wrote:

>When Doom 3 was installed originally last year, I believe the CD was always
>required to be in to run the game.
>
>Since installing RE, it appears the the CD is no longer required in either
>Doom or RE? Has anyone else noticed this?

Hmmm...so it appears. I've been dutifully putting the CD in, unaware it
wasn't necessary anymore.

--
sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!

On 4/18/2005 5:24 AM Tom Dauphin brightened our day with:

>When Doom 3 was installed originally last year, I believe the CD was always
>required to be in to run the game.
>
>Since installing RE, it appears the the CD is no longer required in either
>Doom or RE? Has anyone else noticed this?

I can't remember if it required the CD present after the 1.1 patch or if
I was using a crack. Must have been using a cracked exe.
You should know that Doom 3 verifies your CD Key for both products every
time you start it up now. Though it won't prevent you from playing
single player if there isn't a connection present.

I'm all for more games with online authorization, or stuff like Steam,
rather than getting securom, safedisc and starforce services and drivers
installed on my computer just so a game can check if I have the CD in
the drive or not. I frickin' hate those, I think it was the latest
SWKoTorII patch that just installed a securom thing called
uaService7.exe running as a background service. When I saw that I
freaked out, running virus checks, searching google for info etc...
thinking my system had been compromised.
I played the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Demo and liked it very much, but
I won't be buying the PC version of the game because it includes
Starforce protection, which installs an actual .sys driver to check if
your CD is there.

--
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
April 21, 2005 2:47:52 PM

On 21 Apr 2005 00:06:16 -0700, delarge@fiberia.com wrote:

>Starforce-free Splinter Cell for download:
>
>http://www.direct2drive.com/product.aspx?pid=170

1. You really shouldn't snip context and reply to the incorrect posting at
the same time. This confuses other posters into thinking that you are
trying to distribute a pirated version of a game.
2. There are people who are not aware of D2D, and wouldn't hesitate to send
reports of piracy to Google Groups and/or fiberia. As I said above - don't
snip context.
!