Odd text message

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
September 17, 2004 6:25:51 AM

For the last two days, I've been receiving a text message on my phone that
appears to be from VZW. It's instructing me to dial *228 and select option 2
to update my phone's software.

What's odd about this text message is:

-I only received this message on one of my three VZW phones.
-All 3 phones have been on PRL 50183 for the past few weeks.

Is this some weird way for a spammer to cause a DOS attack or is it just VZW
being silly?

-Stan

More about : odd text message

September 17, 2004 6:25:52 AM

"Stan" <stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p Wr2d.10891$n%3.720184@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> For the last two days, I've been receiving a text message on my phone that
> appears to be from VZW. It's instructing me to dial *228 and select option
2
> to update my phone's software.
>
> What's odd about this text message is:
>
> -I only received this message on one of my three VZW phones.
> -All 3 phones have been on PRL 50183 for the past few weeks.
>
> Is this some weird way for a spammer to cause a DOS attack or is it just
VZW
> being silly?
>
> -Stan
>

> I received the same thing for my phones all 3 of them.. It's something to
do with Area code changing.. What I do find strange is it's only sending it
to 1 phone, are they all the same phone or different models?
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 6:25:52 AM

Where are you?
Do you have a share plan and if so is the message on the primary phone?

"Stan" <stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p Wr2d.10891$n%3.720184@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> For the last two days, I've been receiving a text message on my phone that
> appears to be from VZW. It's instructing me to dial *228 and select option
2
> to update my phone's software.
>
> What's odd about this text message is:
>
> -I only received this message on one of my three VZW phones.
> -All 3 phones have been on PRL 50183 for the past few weeks.
>
> Is this some weird way for a spammer to cause a DOS attack or is it just
VZW
> being silly?
>
> -Stan

September 17, 2004 6:25:52 AM

Stan,
Even though you have the correct PRL on your 3rd phone, it is likely Verizon
does not know it. One of my phones had the correct PRL but the Verizon
computer knew it only in text, not as a number. After I upgraded the phone
at a Verizon store to the correct PRL, it was properly registered in
Verizon's computers.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"Stan" <stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p Wr2d.10891$n%3.720184@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> For the last two days, I've been receiving a text message on my phone that
> appears to be from VZW. It's instructing me to dial *228 and select option
2
> to update my phone's software.
>
> What's odd about this text message is:
>
> -I only received this message on one of my three VZW phones.
> -All 3 phones have been on PRL 50183 for the past few weeks.

September 18, 2004 11:12:15 AM

I'm in the Charlotte, NC market.

The two phones that did NOT get the message are on a share plan. The one
that received it is on a separate business account.

Go figure.

-Stan

"IMHO" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:p Ft2d.49688$mu.27882@okepread07...
> Where are you?
> Do you have a share plan and if so is the message on the primary phone?
>
> "Stan" <stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:p Wr2d.10891$n%3.720184@twister.southeast.rr.com...
>> For the last two days, I've been receiving a text message on my phone
>> that
>> appears to be from VZW. It's instructing me to dial *228 and select
>> option
> 2
>> to update my phone's software.
>>
>> What's odd about this text message is:
>>
>> -I only received this message on one of my three VZW phones.
>> -All 3 phones have been on PRL 50183 for the past few weeks.
>>
>> Is this some weird way for a spammer to cause a DOS attack or is it just
> VZW
>> being silly?
>>
>> -Stan

September 19, 2004 8:02:29 AM

We get that where I work too. It is to update the roaming/non-roaming. Must
be new towers built in your area.
Karl

> I'm in the Charlotte, NC market.
>
> The two phones that did NOT get the message are on a share plan. The one
> that received it is on a separate business account.
>
> Go figure.
>
> -Stan
>

> "IMHO" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:p Ft2d.49688$mu.27882@okepread07...
> > Where are you?
> > Do you have a share plan and if so is the message on the primary phone?
> >
> > "Stan" <stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:p Wr2d.10891$n%3.720184@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> >> For the last two days, I've been receiving a text message on my phone
> >> that
> >> appears to be from VZW. It's instructing me to dial *228 and select
> >> option
> > 2
> >> to update my phone's software.
> >>
> >> What's odd about this text message is:
> >>
> >> -I only received this message on one of my three VZW phones.
> >> -All 3 phones have been on PRL 50183 for the past few weeks.
> >>
> >> Is this some weird way for a spammer to cause a DOS attack or is it
just
> > VZW
> >> being silly?
> >>
> >> -Stan

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 12:03:14 AM

My new PRL is 50203 and I am in Chicago.

David R. Goyer

--
All email is scanned and deemed virus free by Norton Anti-Virus 2003.
news:p x73d.117257$3l3.76430@attbi_s03...

!