Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hi to all that read this thread,

I started noticing some of the older games which i still enjoy playing are now not so enjoyable, I am now using windows 7 ultimate and for some reason games that only support resolutions of upto 1152x864 don't fill my screen anymore like it used to on XP.

What im asking is how do you get games like: WarCraft III to fill my screen, is there a display setting i must turn on or off? Never had this issue and it only appears to affect older games :pt1cable:

Thank you

Is the game resolution set equal to your monitor's native resolution?

Also, if you are using an Nvidia card, with an LCD monitor, there is an option in the Nvidia Control Panel to run programs in fixed aspect ratio mode (meaning with a black band around the edges) or stretch them to the full screen size.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Well its a 20 inch LCD monitor with resolution of 1600x900, Nvidia GTS450, Il check later and see what happens, Sucks playing quake three LAN and all you got is a bordered screen,lol

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Cool il check it out after work today and see what happens then il let you know if it works out :D

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
While running the game, try hitting alt+enter (make sure the game window is active). That switches the game from windowed mode to fullscreen mode (in most cases at least) and vice-versa. Used to happen a lot with me on Far Cry 2

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Yeah i did try that but its something to do with my resolution and from what i gather windows 7 doesn't really cater to older games like XP did, Herr_koos seems to have more of a solid solution to the problem so we will just have to wait and see. The newer games like far cry 2 and call of duty don't have that problem so more of an incompatible display for this version of windows as it clearly sets it to your monitors aspects and doubt older games supported widescreen,lol

Truth be told, this has nothing to do with Windows 7, but with the monitor and graphics driver. LCD monitors cannot resize the image based on the number of pixels the way CRT's could. I went through exactly the same exercise on XP as well.

Nvidia Control Panel allows you to create and save custom resolutions. This way you can try and cater for some older titles. With many older games you can also manually set the screen resolution by editing some .ini files. Have a look at this site, it's extremely useful if you want to get older games working with widescreen resolutions:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Well for some reason with my nvidia control panel it doesn't seem to offer the feature, but configuring the ini file seem to have done the trick thanks for the help everyone

Connected via DVI or VGA?

That explains it. If you don't use DVI, the driver thinks it's connected to a CRT monitor and the scaling features won't work properly. I had to buy a DVI cable for it to work.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

On windows XP i didn't have this issue only now since im using windows 7, I don't know anymore just wait until i upgrade my PC one day and hope for the best, Only affects games that do not support widescreen and they older games so not to phased as i have newer games, It just sucks when your playing LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.