Sign in with
Your question

Starcraft 2 Problems

Last response: in Video Games
November 23, 2010 4:08:00 AM

Hi guys, I just had a question about my comp handling SC2. I currently run a Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 on a GTX 460. My motherboard is a model "IPIBL-LA" and running 4G RAM. I thought my system should be able to handle SC2 even on ultra graphics but it appears that it can't. I tend to lag even in the early game stages of the game. and when I run a 4v4 with my friends, it has problems even on medium graphics. Any advices or anyone experiencing different results with a similar setup? I heard today from someone that my processor may work better on a 64-bit Windows7 (I'm currently using 32-bit Windows7) is this true? Thx in advance for any replys.

More about : starcraft problems

November 23, 2010 5:28:46 AM

Are you running the Q6600 at stock speed? If so, I can almost guarantee that's your problem. It's only clocked at 2.4 GHz, and benchmarks have proven that SC2 prefers a high CPU clock speed. Also, it cannot use more than two cores effectively.
m
l
November 23, 2010 11:59:10 AM

sry I'm really not good with computers and especially the terminology. What does it mean by clock speed and stock speed? I'm getting an idea that stock speed may be the speed the manufacturers set the CPU speed at? and if this idea of mine is right then how do I switch it to a clock speed? Oh, and do you think there would be a difference between a 32 and 64-bit OS in windows7?
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2010 12:23:50 PM

Clock speed = the speed the CPU currently runs at. Stock clock speed = what the manufacturer set it to. You've basically answered my question by asking that.. :-)
m
l
December 5, 2010 5:56:29 PM

Your processor is fine your using a 2 core quad processor, I can't believe you bought that 2.60GHz system requirements mumbo jumbo when you have a 460GTX and 4GB of ram that only applies to single core besides your just below by a fraction. And I would believe you lagging on 4v4 with more than 1200 game units in-game but just a couple of minutes in the game that's bull considering your system specs.

OS: In regards to 32-bit and 64-bit when it comes to gaming and your not going overboard on ram. Your fine on 32-bit a large significant increase on 64-bit if when you add more memory but if not its virtually the same.
m
l
December 5, 2010 7:30:37 PM

@psychophat No, you are wrong as Herr_Koos stated SC2 loves clock speed not cores.a Corei3540 at 3.2GHZ would even beat a Core2 Quad Q9550 AT 2.4ghz.
m
l
December 6, 2010 7:31:32 AM

psychophat said:
Your processor is fine your using a 2 core quad processor, I can't believe you bought that 2.60GHz system requirements mumbo jumbo when you have a 460GTX and 4GB of ram that only applies to single core besides your just below by a fraction. And I would believe you lagging on 4v4 with more than 1200 game units in-game but just a couple of minutes in the game that's bull considering your system specs.

OS: In regards to 32-bit and 64-bit when it comes to gaming and your not going overboard on ram. Your fine on 32-bit a large significant increase on 64-bit if when you add more memory but if not its virtually the same.

The benchmarks disagree:

http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performan...

Let me highlight a passage for you:

An older processor like the Core 2 Quad Q6600 suffers compared to the other CPUs tested, serving as a bottleneck to a high-end GPU such as the GeForce GTX 480

and also:

It is a shame that StarCraft II can only utilize two cores, as this really hurts older quad-core processors such as the Core 2 Quad Q6600.

The Q6600 only manages 25fps even with a high-end GPU.
m
l
December 8, 2010 4:50:34 PM

Was there a verdict? I'm having similar issues with frame rates, only mine starts to really dip when there are huge 450+ unit battles with Colossi, Thors, Marauders etc. It usually start out around 65 FPS and then it drops to 45 FPS mid game, and in big battles REALLY dips.

My current setup:

Core i3 540 @ 3.02
8gb ddr3 1600 bought from a friend that got a NewEgg deal)
GTX460 1GB
1TB SATA 2 HDD (not sure about speed)
Gigabyte Intel H55 mobo

I'm assuming my processor/mobo are bottle necking, but I'm not sure what to upgrade next. Also, I'm currently using this screen:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 9, 2010 5:01:07 AM

NeuronetMan said:
Was there a verdict? I'm having similar issues with frame rates, only mine starts to really dip when there are huge 450+ unit battles with Colossi, Thors, Marauders etc. It usually start out around 65 FPS and then it drops to 45 FPS mid game, and in big battles REALLY dips.

My current setup:

Core i3 540 @ 3.02
8gb ddr3 1600 bought from a friend that got a NewEgg deal)
GTX460 1GB
1TB SATA 2 HDD (not sure about speed)
Gigabyte Intel H55 mobo

I'm assuming my processor/mobo are bottle necking, but I'm not sure what to upgrade next. Also, I'm currently using this screen:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It could be a combination of both. SC2 is CPU intensive during big battles since the AI has to control hundreds of units at a time. On the GPU side, your frame buffer size will eventually limit you, or the 460 may not have enough horsepower at a high res like 1920x1080 with all the eye-candy turned on. One has to make some compromises for the sake of playability.

A site that helped me tremendously was this one:

http://techspotlight.net/uncategorized/the-starcraft-ii...

It offers some great tips on how to manually edit your visual settings to improve frame rates, without a noticeable impact on visual quality. I highly recommend it.
m
l
!