Sign in with
Your question

NTLDR is missing ?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 18, 2005 12:27:47 PM

1st off hello all. i'm not very knowledgeable but i ain't a complete eeejit. anyways heres my woes (and stats)

Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6B300SO SATA 16MB Cache - OEM
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 200GB 6B200MO SATA 8MB Cache - OEM
Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe (Socket 939) Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail
AOpen GeForce 6800 LE 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) & DOOM 3 Bundle - Retail
NEC ND3500 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - OEM slave on drive
my old DVD-Rom master on ribbon
my old SCSI CD-r/rw
old floppy disc drive
old 9.5Gb IDE slave on ribbon
old 16.7Gb IDE master on ribbon

anyways before i plugged in the DVDrw it all worked. however after plugging in the burner i now get an "NTLDR is missing ctrl + alt+ del to reboot" error msg. any idea's what it is. i'm believe its when windows deletes part of itself and its possible to be repaired. however i'm thinking of just running the 300Gb drive as primary and doing a fresh install and then copying the important stuff over then formatting the old 200Gb drive

if anyone knows properly how to fix it or any tips on how not to get it again feel free to let me know :) 

ta... stav

More about : ntldr missing

January 18, 2005 4:42:24 PM

What is your booting order in your comp's BIOS, and what drive have the Windows OS?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
January 18, 2005 11:52:42 PM

That Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6B300SO SATA 16MB is the 2nd fastest hard drive and Storage Reviews top pick (only because the fastest drive, the 74 GB Raptor, is too expensive).

Assuming that you are booting from one of those old PATA IDE drives I would suggest you reinstall Windows XP SP2 on your 300 GB SATA drive!

Maybe create a 20 GB OS partion to enable proper partion backups.

You will want to have a SP2 CD, and if the SATA controller isn't part of your motherboard's chipset you will likely have to press F6 durring install and give it a floppy with the right drivers.
Related resources
January 19, 2005 1:22:10 AM

NTLDR is nt loader. It mean that it doesnt find the boot loader, because after you install your DVDburner, you kind of mess the boot order.

Where is the OS? SATA bootable sometime has to bet set as bootable in the BIOS.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
January 19, 2005 8:34:12 AM

but how can you mess up ther boot order when you set the device as the slave ?

anyways... my main drive is the 200Gb sata as my 300Gb hasn't actually arrived yet. ordered it on monday.

i'm booting up on the sata as i think it goes C:, CDROM, A (floppy) for the boot up sequence

also it is XP with service pack 2 i have. not the basic XP

I'll get back to you on that one
January 19, 2005 11:36:40 AM

I dont know why, but it happens. On mine, if sometime I plug another HDD, it told me just that. I had to specify in the BIOS to boot from my SATA controller first and then, look at the IDE channel next.

So check your bios for such option to specially boot with your sata controller, not only C:, because one of your old HDD might already have been formatted with an OS and it may have the C letter already asignd to and by installing it as master on channel1, with the burner as slave, it may just trick the bios and have it to try to start with that "old defective bootable partition" (remember when with fdisk, you have to set a partition as active in order to have it to boot?).

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
January 19, 2005 1:15:23 PM

Copy the two files shown below to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example the CD-ROM drive letter is "E". yours may be different.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, reboot your PC.

It's possible your hard disk drive may have a corrupt boot sector and/or master boot record. This can be repaired through the Microsoft Windows Recovery console by running the fixboot and fixmbr commands.

I hope this helps, if not search on google.com on "ntldr missing". It's probably explained better since my english isnt that good.

Nevan

<i>The Statement Below Is False</i>
<i>The Statement Above Is True</i>
January 20, 2005 11:10:06 AM

ok thanks for your help all. i think i have a better understanding of it all. since my 300Gb arrived this morning i'm going to gut the machine and re-build the bugger from scratch. should make life a little easier as last time i tried to use windows recovery (back on win2k) it didn't do a good job and i had to format the beastie any ways. i have little faith in microsoft. anyways... here's hoping and thanks again for all your help

I'll get back to you on that one
!