How to reformat a partition w/ another OS..

rmboransing

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hi,

I wanna remove my old XP since I no longer use it. And also, i need the 100Gb it's eating up, LOL.

What is the easiest way to get rid of it?

Here's a shot of my Disk Management window:

remove.png

arges86

Distinguished
Windows key + R
type: Msconfig

Boot tab
Then delete the OS you want.

To get that space back. you Need to reformat the drive and wipe it clean in Disk Management (just type 'Disk Management' in the start menu and hit enter)
Right click on the partition u want to get rid of, and click format.

arn10485

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
The safest way is format D: drive to clean out Windows XP, and use it for whatever purpose you want to.

If you want to merge the Windows 7 partition with it, I recommend using gparted.

You can download it here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

You need to make a bootable CD or USB to use it (instructions are on the website).

If you have no other laptop/system at your disposal, you can download a Ubuntu live CD, which will contain it as well as other utilities - eg. browser etc. which can help you connect to the web if you need help inbetween.

GParted is very good - it has similar interface as the Windows disk manager but gives you more power. With it you can move/merge the Windows 7 partition with ease.

Of course, though nothing will go wrong unless your hard disk fails in the middle, before this it is recommended to backup any important data that you cannot reproduce! **Can't stress this enough!**

If XP was installed first then later on Win Vista or Win 7 there will be no boot manager partition (hidden).

so Formatting D: XP partition will break Windows 7 as boot manager folder & files are in XP partition
(from Win 7 point of view XP is D: but from XP Win 7 is D: )

you will need the Win 7 DVD to recover from this.
It would be easier and safer to delete d:\windows & D:\program files and then empty recycle bin

regards

Mike Barnes

rmboransing

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
yes, XP was installed earlier.
so there is no other choice? i need to use my dvd :(

how bout this, will this work:

if i put in an xp/win7 dvd then reformat D:, then just cancel the installation of new OS.

will it do any damage?

thank you for all your replies!