Help Upgrading....

G

Hello,
Right now I have a Compaq 5100C K6-2 400 Mhz... I want to upgrade to a 800 Mhz T-Bird, Abit KT7 motherboard, and a Aopen 12x10x32 CD-RW CRW1232. What I want to know is will I have to buy a new case or will everything fit in the Compaq one? Also I will probably need a 300 watt power supply? Is there anyway to check how many watts mine is without opening the case? Eventually I will buy a new case with 3+
bays this one only has 2 external full size. I also need to know what is a good & quiet heatsink/fan for the T-Bird (I might try to get an extra 50+Mhz out of it)? I was thinking about the Thermal Take Chrome Orb for Socket 462/A 1Ghz fan/heatskink for $27 bucks? Is the one fan on the Compaq case enough for blowing out air? If not can
anybody recommend a good cheap case? I'm 16 help me =P

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I think you will have trouble using that Compaq case. From what I have seen, they are fairly proprietary and don't give you room for new boards. It might even use a riser card which would be a real pain. I think you should look at new cases with 300W supplies. My friend is running his Duron with a 250W, but now a days 300 is the way to go. The only way to check the supply is to look at the sticker on it. You can get decent mid tower ATX's for like 30-40 bucks. That heat sink is probably fine. The K6-2 ain't doing for you anymore huh? I know the feeling, I am still running my K6-3 400. I am going to wait for DDR boards before I upgrade however. Good luck with the system. Sounds like quite a screamer.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

Now that I know I need a new case I think I'm going to get a Antec SX830 for about 80 bucks seems like allot of people like it. Comes with a AMD approved power supply and 2 fans. Hopefully I can get this thing up and running ;). My area finally gets broadband this month can't wait... Thanks for the help LTJLover.