KA7 & Athlon 850 trouble...PLZ HELP!

PLMf30

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK...any help here would be much appreciated.
Here's the setup:

AMD Athlon 850
Abit KA7 w/kx133 chipset
Guillemot 3D Prophet w 6.47 Detonator Drivers
generic ( gulp ) 128mb pc133 ram
western digital 13.8 gig hd
soundblaster live xgamer
samsung 52x cd drive

allright, I built the setup myself, and well it's been quite an experience. The one reoccuring problem I've had has been me getting kicked back to windows from most games ran. I understand that drivers are a big issue, and have done my best to get all brand new ones, I just can't tell what's conflicting here to cause the problem. Sometimes after getting booted or freezing up inside the game, the sound will continue to play, or will repeat a short clip over and over. Other times, sound cuts and video freezes alltogether. I've updated the bios for the mb and the vid card.
SO, if anyone could point me in the right direction here, either through tech documents or random info, I'd very much appreciate it!
Pete

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PLMf30 on 12/05/00 04:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's probably a problem with the RAM but first try downloading the AGP drivers from AMD's website. Not having these may be causing you problems. See URLs at the bottom.

If that doesn't work chances are that the RAM is being pushed too far. If you have set the CAS to 2, try increasing it to 3. Also increase any other timings which you have reduced. If you haven't touched em, increase them anyway to see if it's the RAM.

Lastly I would try disabling video caching and shadowing and other caching and shadowing options. Be sure to make a hard copy of how the settings are now so if you find the problem you can return the other settings to how they were.

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/bin/agp2k521.exe" target="_new">Windows 2000 AGP driver v5.21</A>

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/bin/miniport_480.exe" target="_new">Windows 9x/Millenium AGP driver v4.80</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by smn198 on 12/05/00 11:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

How hot is your CPU running. I have read similar symptoms elsewhere and it turned out to be a cooling issue.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just read a different post that involved a bad hardrive cable. I'm not saying it's this, but just check for the most OBVIOUS stuff first. Here's some good examples:

1. My system would intermittently crash. Problem? The video card just didn't seat quite right into the slot. It would go in fine, that is until I put the screw in...tightening the screw caused the card to partially unseat on the one side.

2. After totting my PC for a LAN party, after an hour of game play my system just DIED! I spent hours trying to figure it out. Problem? My CPU apparently worked loose during the drive down.

Pretty lame advice I know, but sometimes you have to have someone tell you to check the obvious before you'll do it.

Good Luck.