Sign in with
Your question

Corrupted disc

Last response: in Video Games
November 24, 2010 11:23:01 PM

So after hours of searching, I FINALLY located my copy of F.E.A.R. I went to install it, got to the 5th and final disc, only to find out a file on said disc is corrupted, and installation fails. I have the key that came with the game when I purchased it. Is there any way I can download the game somewhere online and use my legitimate key, or am I out of luck and need to purchase another copy of the game?

More about : corrupted disc

November 24, 2010 11:44:22 PM

Have you tried to make a image of the disc? You never know it might make a difference.
m
l
November 24, 2010 11:49:14 PM

I haven't. How would I do that, and how would the install process work?
m
l
Related resources
November 24, 2010 11:55:58 PM

Download a program called imgburn, or some other software, and then create a image of the CD, then download a virtual drive (I used a program called magicdisc )

Once you created a image of your disc, mount the image to the virtual drive, and it should run as if you used a physical disc.
m
l
November 25, 2010 1:40:34 AM

Oh gotcha. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try
m
l
November 25, 2010 1:54:56 AM

No problems. Let me know how it works out for you.
m
l
November 25, 2010 2:14:12 AM

Well I tried to make an image and it immediately failed, saying it has a bad (unrecoverable) sector :/  I was able to locate an image if the disc on the web so I'm going to see if that works. Thanks again for the help
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:00:36 AM

The game finished installing when I used the image I found online (shows up in start menu, add/remove programs, program files) but FEAR.exe is missing. SO frustrating. Guess I'll just have to purchase another copy :/ 
m
l
November 25, 2010 4:52:28 AM

Get daemon tools or alcohol 120%, And judging by the sounds of it your DVD writer is fussy with discs,lol,If these image burners don't work then you will either have to purchase the instore/online
m
l
November 25, 2010 11:47:32 AM

If you have a friend who owns it, you could install from their discs, using your own code.
m
l
November 25, 2010 11:51:01 AM

Download the game's iso using a torrent and then use your legit cd key.If I remember correct fear doesn't need to verify that your cd is in the drive so you can make a legit copy.
m
l
November 25, 2010 1:47:02 PM

What kind of error do you get when you install your old disc? a file corruption error? or CRC error? Is the old disc already damaged and full of scratch? If its just a little damaged, you can try the toothpaste/peanut butter method of cleaning it..LOL :lol:  It does work sometimes.. :sol:  It worked for me once..
m
l
November 25, 2010 2:05:40 PM

I had the same problem with an Age of Empires 3 disk. It got almost to the end of the install and said it could not read a file. The worst part was that I have both expansions and could not play those either since the original game would not install.
I tried to install the game using CD and DVD drives on several different computers, tried copying the disk, tried burning an image of the disk, and none of it worked.
m
l
!