when can we buy DDR MBs?

G

Since about a year I read here about the advantages of the upcoming DDR-RAM. It was mai or june when the first chipsets were announced. Now they should finally be available on the marked but my local dealer told me yesterday that they are postphoned until next year, probably having problems.

Was all this a lot of vapour targeting intel and rambus, is the tecnology involved more complicated than previously thought or do they simply let us wait for market-strategic reasons?

getting frustrated

G

they were originally slated to come out this December and early Jan, but now it looks like mid to late january because of some minor issues Gigabyte found with the AMD760 chipset.

G

I know SOYO is releasing a couple of DDR Motherboards (according to the soyo people) sometime next month. They have said they are releasing a DDR motherboard for AMD Socket-A Duron/Thunderbird or Intel's FC-PGA 370 PIII's CPU's. They are also releasing a DDR Motherboard for Intel's FC-PGA 370, PIII's, and Celeron II processors.

And I'm sure other motherboard manufacturers are close to releasing their's (if they haven't already done so).

Remember, good things come to those who wait!

WyldAngel

G

what do you think about bug issues on these boards? I was told that it took about half a year until they managed to get the first generation of boards for AMD bug free. Do you think they will manage faster now?

Maybe I'd better buy a well functioning system now as I'll need a new computer soon.

thanks for the answers
FordPrefect

G

There is going to be bugs in most new things like the DDR motherboards, but I also believe that the manufacturers are doing a better job at producing quality motherboards with few bugs. This is the reasoning behind the long delays, and the frequent tests that they do on them. They don't want to get a bad name from the press or the public.

You might want to check like Motherboards.com and/or Motherboards.org to check the reviews. If you have a particular brand you like to stay with, then check out their websites, I'm sure there will be something there if they are going to put out a ddr mobo and when.

Hope this helps!

WyldAngel

G

I'm not sure I would want to own the first version of a DDR motherboard. Perhaps if I were running a test lab, but I sure wouldn't buy one for business right now.