CADtech

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
Is there an option to check to have windows ask you if your sure you want to move folders around. We have a real problem with people accidently moving folders to other folders and losing stuff... so i was just wondering if windows had an option along those lines to prevent any accidental misplacing of files.

thanks

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
None that I know of.

Give more details and maybe someone can come up with another solution to your problem.

Perhaps the users can do their work with only read permissions. Maybe these are folders they shouldn't be touching at all?

If this is static data you can set up a script to restore the content each night.

pat

Expert
no, and let them learn from their mistakes...unless it is causing you too much trouble...:)

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

CADtech

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
oh its definately the peoepls mistakes they go to click on somethting and accidently move folders and files and bam the search is on. Trust me they wont learn. I was just wondering because microsoft asks you if you want to delete something so maybe there was a hidden option to have it ask if you want to move it as well. more information.. well mostly people use windows explorer we have several network drives... and sometimes people goto click on a file or folder and they slid eit over a scoch and bam it moves it.
well everyone needs to add and delete at some time or another so i duinno about that read only solution.. thanks for the replys though.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was just wondering because microsoft asks you if you want to delete something so maybe there was a hidden option to have it ask if you want to move it as well
There is a way to do that if those files or folder are set with read-only or system file attributes. Otherwise, you have to set appropriate permissions to these users.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

pat

Expert
I sometime do it from time to time, and yes... it is easy to do... I wish there was something but I still have to search for.

I knew of a web site that had plenty on fix and hack for XP..I may try to find it and check for something on thAT.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!