December 6, 2000 5:49:13 PM

My system:
ABIT Bp6
1x 466 celeron no o/c
1x64 & 1x128 PC100 SDRAM
27.2 gig Maxtor Diamondmax DMA/66
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Montego II Sound Card

My bp6 has been perfectly stable and worked great - until now. When I boot up, sometimes it freezes when it is checking the RAM, sometimes during the DMI pool data, sometimes while running scandisk, and occasionally boots all the way to windows, where it will run for 5-10 minutes and freeze. I have not installed any new hardware; I have pulled out everything and tried putting everything in one by one; no dice. New power supply; same problems.

After a reboot, the video won't even post half of the time and I get two beeps - both short but the first slightly longer.

Help please

More about : damn crack whore bp6

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2000 6:02:15 PM

Did you do a surface scan of your harddrisk yet?
December 7, 2000 1:51:09 PM

Check your revision. If it's 1.1 ya have the voltage problems. You can find a sollution of under this link: http://bp6.gamesquad.net/

greetings,
GanDi.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2000 2:02:26 PM

why that silly subject.. faul language is not gonna help your problem in this case..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2000 3:48:32 PM

Bp6.com offered no help. The messageboard is broken

As for the voltage, my VTT goes from .* to 2.** every few seconds. Is this related to my problem?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2000 7:10:32 PM

I dont know if the voltage is related to your problem but it very well may be. Check the mobo site for a BIOS flash.

Just before you started getting the problems did you do any reeranging or anything. I had a similar problem and it turned out that my cat had laid on my computer one day when I was away and bent a chip on the mobo.

I troubled with the problem for like 3 weeks and I sent the mobo back to ASUS...they sent me a brand new one. Look over your mobo carefully. unplug everything but the hard drive, the video card and of course the ram and try a boot? Is there a diff? Make sure that no wire or anything is crossing. IF all of that fails....THROW THE DAMN THING OUT THE WINDOW AND GO TO THE STORE AND GET A NEW ONE!

Of course that is the last resort!

-Matt-
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2000 10:37:20 PM

Strange it would stop suddenly. I've read that the io controller doesn't have any heat sink paste underneath the heat dissipator. I checked mine and sure enough that was true. I put some paste on and it seems to have much fewer crashes. Don't know though if that's your problem.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2000 3:56:14 PM

Thanks for everyone's help.

It's not the HDD. I tried another working hard drive out of my friend's bp6 and the same problem occurred.

I can boot to the a: prompt with a startup disk but any applications will freeze within seconds of their opening.

My board is revision 1.0, so any of the 1.1 lockups don't apply here...

I tried to get ahold of A-Bit customer service to see if I could possibly return the board, but apparently A-Bit doesn't make the bp6 any more, and I have been put on a waiting list for a replacement.

I can't figure out the problem exactly but it's either the board or the celeron. I'm trying the celeron today; will post results later...

Help appreciated as always
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2000 8:15:43 PM

Are you sure you're cpu cooler is working correctly? Did you put in a new one recently?

I put one in once on my BP6 and the base was too big so it actually sat on one of the components instead of the cpu. Needless to say, it was crashing frequently.
December 10, 2000 11:10:20 PM

i have a bp6 too

i went to radio shack and replace the voltage cap.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2000 2:26:29 AM

Recently had an unusual series of crashes on my laptop at work. I tried everything to diagnose the problem. I finaly found out what it was when it it got so bad it wouldn't even run the post test - the CPU died - a slow death. Hate to be the one to suggest it but if you have a spare CPU - try it.
!