Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gaming Problems (all of my games)

Last response: in Video Games
November 25, 2010 4:29:55 AM

All of my Steam games seem to have the same problem. Anywhere from :30 - 20Min into gaming all of my games crash to desktop (CTD) with no errors or anything.

This is a maybe 3 week old gaming PC that I just finished building. I have never run a 64bit OS so im curious if this is the problem. I have played these same games on a 2yr old lappy, a Dell 1720 with a T9300 Core 2, 8600GTM, 4GB's of RAM, running 32Bit Win7. While the gameplay and visuals are no where near as good as my new PC it played them just fine.

My current PC is as follows:

i5 760 (stock)
Raidmax 830W PSU
PNY XLR8 GTX470
2TB WD Caviar Green 5400RPM (64MB)
4 (2 x 2GB) Patriot Sector 5 RAM

All of my Steam Games; Bad Company 2, L4D, L4D2 all crash after no more than 30min of game play. Sometimes BC2 will CTD within minutes of joining a server. I'm very concerned at this having never run a 64bit OS.

First off I'll try to get the fixes that I have tried out of the way.

I was told to turn off Multi Core rendering. This doesn't do anything for L4D or L4D2, and it makes BC2 laggy as all hell.

I also went into Data Execution Prevention and created an exception for all 3 games to no avail.

In a last ditch effort I verified all game caches fore all 3 games and still nothing.

If anyone know how to fix this or is experiencing anything similar to this PLEASE HALP MEH!!!

More about : gaming problems games

November 25, 2010 5:31:55 AM

Do you experience this with other games, or just Steam games?
Score
November 25, 2010 1:57:20 PM

i would say heat or power supply.
monitor temperatures as you game, both CPU and GPU, and tell us what they are when your game crashes.
if you can monitor voltages too (in hwmonitor or similar) that may help
Score
Related resources
November 25, 2010 1:59:02 PM

Cant really help you much, but I am sure that it is not realted to using 64 bit OS. My friend plays on Steam all the time with a gaming laptop running 64 bit Win7 without any problems.

You could try uninstalling steam and reinstalling it. I dont think you would even have to reinstall your games if you just said "repair" instead of replace when reinstalling.

And as Koos inplied, if you are having problems with non-Steam games something else is going on, although you seem to imply that it is just Steam.
Score
November 25, 2010 7:51:13 PM

Bad Company 2 use to crash for me to blue screen but i found what the problem was..it was because i had my cpu overclocked and when i turned it down to stock it was all fine...i could play all my other games on my overclocked cpu tho
Score
November 26, 2010 12:12:27 AM

It is only my Steam games, but I only have steam games. I was thinking it is my GPU (Definitly not my CPU, it gets to maybe 35C MAYBE. My case has an abundance of fans.

Who ever said PSU...You dont think 830W is enough?!

I guess I will try to increase the fan to 80%

My GPU was at 72C running BC2 maxed on a 40" 1080 LCD and fan was running 70% i will try 10% increases to see if that helps.

doubt the GPU is overheating because on the display i normally plan on it maxes at like 1378 x XXX and the GPU read about 50-60C on desktop right after crash.

Update****

BC2 crashed after running for about 7min at 56C
Score
November 26, 2010 5:58:25 AM

56C is well below what a modern GPU can handle. Most of them are fine up to 80C+. I suspect it's something else. Borrow a non-Steam game from a friend and see what happens.
Score
November 26, 2010 10:51:02 AM

sure its not a missmatch in compatibility with ram and mobo - i had this issue a few years ago.

Try using some old compatible ram
Score
a b 4 Gaming
November 26, 2010 7:36:33 PM

Heat would have been my first thought too. I didn't read what mother board you have. Is it one with on board graphics ? Perhaps disabling the mother board portion would help ( i5's ) Don't say your processor or video card can't spike heat wise causing you problems. And why did you buy such a slow hard drive ? Provide an unrealistic amount of virtual ram. 10000/10000-20000/20000. Check voltages on ram. .
Score

Best solution

November 26, 2010 9:45:03 PM

I'd also say you'd check up on the voltages your ram sticks are running with. Since you built it yourself, there might be some stock settings not configured to work properly while data runs during heavy-duty computer usage :) 
November 27, 2010 3:23:42 AM

Ok...when it comes to anything in the bios and voltage/latency I'm in the dark.

Would these inconsistencies cause a game to CTD from seconds to minutes when in a game, and by in game I mean, in a Server.

If I let the games sit on the Menu nothing happens to them, they are just fine.

@Herr_Koos I have Mirrors Edge which plays OK but freezes rather than CTD, and I had to CTRL + ALT + DLT to close it. I also have Medal Of Honor and It also CTD's.

So no that I think about it all of my Games CTD but I just play steam games 90% of the time.

Someone said something about possible incompatibilities with my MOBO and RAM, I'm going to post what newegg has for Specs on the RAM and MOBO.

Mobo - MSI H55M-ED55
MSI
Model
H55M-ED55
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type
LGA 1156
CPU Type
Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium (LGA1156)
Chipsets
North Bridge
Intel H55
Memory
Number of Memory Slots
4×240pin
Memory Standard
DDR3 1066/1333/1600 (OC)/2000 (OC)/2133 (OC)
Maximum Memory Supported
16GB
Channel Supported
Dual Channel
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 2.0 x16
PCI Express x1
PCI Slots
Storage Devices
PATA
1 x ATA133 2 Dev. Max
SATA 3Gb/s
Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset
None
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset
Realtek ALC889
Audio Channels
8 Channels
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset
Realtek 8111DL
Max LAN Speed
10/100/1000Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2
Video Ports
D-Sub + DVI
HDMI
1 x HDMI
USB 1.1/2.0
6 x USB 2.0
eSATA
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s
S/PDIF Out
1 x Optical
Audio Ports
6 Ports
Physical Spec
Form Factor
Micro ATX
Dimensions
9.6" x 9.6"
Power Pin
24 Pin
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts
1 year limited
Labor
1 year limited

RAM - Patriot G Series

Patriot
Series
G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition
Model
PGV34G1333ELK
Type
240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity
4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed
DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Cas Latency
Timing
9-9-9-24
Voltage
1.65V
Multi-channel Kit
Dual Channel Kit
Heat Spreader
Yes
Features
XMP Ready
Equipped with advance aluminum heat-dispersing shields
100% Tested and Verified
RoHS Compliant
Tested on Intel P55 chipset
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts
Lifetime limited
Labor
Lifetime limited
Similar Items

Again, I really know nothing of what the significance of Voltage and Timing is or benefits... Not all that familiar with going into the BIOS to set things up.

****As another side note. When I set up the PC I just plugged in everything (GPU, RAM, HD, Optical Drive, PSU to MOBO/GPU) and I was off and running. I was told that you typically have to go into the BIOS and have the Read set to Disc Drive rather than HD but that was not the case for me. I have yet to go into the BIOS on the new PC..
Score
November 27, 2010 4:05:26 AM

Ok so I went into my BIOS and this is what I found of my RAM.

CH1 1T/2T Timing - 1
CH1 Cas Latency - 7
tRCD -7
tRP-7
tRAS - 20
tRFC - 59
tWR - 8
tWTR - 4
tRRD - 4
tRTP - 4
tFAW - 20
B2B - Cas Delay - 0

Channel 2 was exactly the same.

Perhaps I did this wrong but the values that were set to 7 I switched to 9, and the 20 I switched to 24 since that is what Newegg says is the values. It was set to 7-7-7-20 on Auto and I believe 1.65V but im not 100% sure on the Voltage.

I dont know If I did something wrong or perhaps it was coincidence but right after changing these values I went into Alien Swarm no where near as graphic intense as BC2 and my screen froze with these crazy colors of my desktop and white lines up and down my monitor. I did get an error message from my display driver saying it was an unexpected error and it recovered. Once in game I have really bad lag, I was jumping forward on my screen. It eventually caught up for maybe 10 seconds, then the same crazy colors and white lines. I tried to CTRL + ALT + DLT out but it was frozen. so I had to manually power off.

Do you think that was just a coincidence, Did I set something wrong...is it harmful to my PC?!
Score
December 1, 2010 11:32:21 PM

Best answer selected by luckydemon.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 2, 2010 8:30:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!