Why no Analog fallback on SamSung SPH

Last response: in Network Providers
a b Ô Samsung
September 17, 2004 12:38:25 PM

The Samsung SPH-i700 PDA/PHONE is a trimode (AMPS/CDMA800/CDMA1900) phone,
but for some reason Verizon disables the AMPS and markets it as Digital
only. What's the point of that? Any way around it?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 17, 2004 2:38:23 PM

Ron Natalie wrote:

> The Samsung SPH-i700 PDA/PHONE is a trimode (AMPS/CDMA800/CDMA1900) phone,
> but for some reason Verizon disables the AMPS and markets it as Digital
> only. What's the point of that? Any way around it?

Uh?

I thought all non-Sprint Samsung models were SCH-whatever and SPH was a prefix
only used for Sprint... Are you sure this is a Verizon phone you're asking about?

a b Ô Samsung
September 17, 2004 7:48:28 PM

"Ron Natalie" <ron.natalie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The Samsung SPH-i700 PDA/PHONE is a trimode (AMPS/CDMA800/CDMA1900) phone,
> but for some reason Verizon disables the AMPS and markets it as Digital
> only. What's the point of that?

Simple economics/good business practices: the cellular carriers want to see
AMPS phones go away ASAP because the feds won't let them discontinue their
money losing analog service until the phones are gone.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 17, 2004 8:43:27 PM

Special Ed wrote:
> "Ron Natalie" <ron.natalie@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The Samsung SPH-i700 PDA/PHONE is a trimode
>> (AMPS/CDMA800/CDMA1900) phone, but for some reason Verizon
>> disables the AMPS and markets it as Digital only. What's the
>> point of that?
>
> Simple economics/good business practices: the cellular carriers
> want to see AMPS phones go away ASAP because the feds won't let
> them discontinue their money losing analog service until the
> phones are gone.

As one who occasionally has to force analog, I think the need for
analog remains until such time as digital towers adequately cover
fringe areas that is currently serviced by analog. In my travels,
that means much of the CA/NV/AZ desert and high alititude areas that
are not near an Interstate. My next phone (contract due up in Nov)
must be tri-mode. I like the Audiovox 8900 and hope its replacement
(9900) is still tri-mode.

Philip
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 17, 2004 9:54:13 PM

"Philip®" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:p uE2d.3188$gG4.2373@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Special Ed wrote:
>> "Ron Natalie" <ron.natalie@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The Samsung SPH-i700 PDA/PHONE is a trimode
>>> (AMPS/CDMA800/CDMA1900) phone, but for some reason Verizon
>>> disables the AMPS and markets it as Digital only. What's the
>>> point of that?
>>
>> Simple economics/good business practices: the cellular carriers
>> want to see AMPS phones go away ASAP because the feds won't let
>> them discontinue their money losing analog service until the
>> phones are gone.
>

> As one who occasionally has to force analog, I think the need for
> analog remains until such time as digital towers adequately cover
> fringe areas that is currently serviced by analog. In my travels,
> that means much of the CA/NV/AZ desert and high alititude areas that
> are not near an Interstate. My next phone (contract due up in Nov)
> must be tri-mode. I like the Audiovox 8900 and hope its replacement
> (9900) is still tri-mode.
>
> Philip

Oh, I totally agree with you. I have a tri-mode too and I'll give it up when
digital coverage is as widespread as analog.

Prior to that, they'll have pry it from my cold, dead fist;-)

Edw.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 17, 2004 10:56:20 PM

Special Ed wrote:
> "Philip®" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:p uE2d.3188$gG4.2373@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> As one who occasionally has to force analog, I think the need for
>> analog remains until such time as digital towers adequately cover
>> fringe areas that is currently serviced by analog. In my travels,
>> that means much of the CA/NV/AZ desert and high alititude areas
>> that are not near an Interstate. My next phone (contract due up
in
>> Nov) must be tri-mode. I like the Audiovox 8900 and hope its
>> replacement (9900) is still tri-mode.
>>
>> Philip
>
> Oh, I totally agree with you. I have a tri-mode too and I'll give
> it up when digital coverage is as widespread as analog.
>
> Prior to that, they'll have pry it from my cold, dead fist ;-)
>
> Edw.

Oh come on Ed, tell us how you REALLY feel!

I've since investigated further and found the Audiovox CDM 9900 to be
a tri-mode. Of course it's a bit more expensive ($219 with 2 yr
contract) due to larger screen and expanded features.

Philip
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 18, 2004 4:00:36 AM

ron.natalie@gmail.com (Ron Natalie) wrote in

> The Samsung SPH-i700 PDA/PHONE is a trimode (AMPS/CDMA800/CDMA1900)
> phone, but for some reason Verizon disables the AMPS and markets it as
> Digital only. What's the point of that? Any way around it?

Quite simple, actually. The FCC has told them all that AMPS will continue
to be REQUIRED, as it is now until Feb 2008, as long as there are users
actually using AMPS....including, by the way, the Presidential Limo. AMPS
is FM clear audio, so government crypto gear works on AMPS, not on very low
resolution CDMA/TDMA/GSM....as I suspect also the control tones on OnStar.

So, if we can disable all the new phones from ever going to AMPS, denying
them the service when the CDMA bombs in the DEAD ZONES....we can show the
FCC that noone is using AMPS, any more, so we can turn it off and get the
FCC to let them use the AMPS channel spaces for more profit with multiuser
CDMA on those frequencies.....

See?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 18, 2004 6:10:59 AM

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> ron.natalie@gmail.com (Ron Natalie) wrote in
>
>> The Samsung SPH-i700 PDA/PHONE is a trimode
>> (AMPS/CDMA800/CDMA1900) phone, but for some reason Verizon
>> disables the AMPS and markets it as Digital only. What's the
>> point of that? Any way around it?
>>

> Quite simple, actually. The FCC has told them all that AMPS will
> continue to be REQUIRED, as it is now until Feb 2008, as long as
> there are users actually using AMPS....including, by the way, the
> Presidential Limo. AMPS is FM clear audio, so government crypto
> gear works on AMPS, not on very low resolution CDMA/TDMA/GSM....as
> I suspect also the control tones on OnStar.
>
> So, if we can disable all the new phones from ever going to AMPS,
> denying them the service when the CDMA bombs in the DEAD
> ZONES....we can show the FCC that noone is using AMPS, any more,
> so we can turn it off and get the FCC to let them use the AMPS
> channel spaces for more profit with multiuser CDMA on those
> frequencies.....
>
> See?

Diabolically clever, Mr. Holmes! ;-)

I for one will be purchasing a TRI-mode fone again when I renew my
2yr plan in November. I do have to force analog out in the deserts
of lower CA and middle NV.

Philip
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 19, 2004 11:40:53 PM

>Diabolically clever, Mr. Holmes! ;-)
>
>I for one will be purchasing a TRI-mode fone again when I renew my
>2yr plan in November. I do have to force analog out in the deserts
>of lower CA and middle NV.

Have the i700 and don't miss analog at all. Gone are the days of auto
swirtching to analog for no reason. This feature might look good on
paper but in reality has been a complete failure in implementation.
..
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 20, 2004 4:20:36 AM

AndrewJ wrote:
>> Diabolically clever, Mr. Holmes! ;-)
>>
>> I for one will be purchasing a TRI-mode fone again when I renew my
>> 2yr plan in November. I do have to force analog out in the
>> deserts of lower CA and middle NV.
>
> Have the i700 and don't miss analog at all. Gone are the days of
> auto swirtching to analog for no reason. This feature might look
> good on paper but in reality has been a complete failure in
> implementation. .

That's all fine and dandy. Why do you say you don't miss analog at
all when the specs show the Samsung SGH-i700 to be a GSM / tri-mode
phone? If you are saying that retaining analog is "a complete
failure" then we will just have to agree to DISagree on that point.
Digital is not perfect in areas I travel.

--Samsung's first GSM Pocket PC Phone Edition device. This tri-band
world phone is also a full Pocket PC wireless device, with a large
touchscreen, 400 MHz Intel processor, and GPRS data. Key features
include a swivel camera, MMS, voice dialing, and an expansion slot
that supports both memory cards and SDIO accessories. --
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=320

Philip
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 20, 2004 4:20:37 AM

Philip® wrote:

> That's all fine and dandy. Why do you say you don't miss analog at
> all when the specs show the Samsung SGH-i700 to be a GSM / tri-mode
> phone? If you are saying that retaining analog is "a complete
> failure" then we will just have to agree to DISagree on that point.
> Digital is not perfect in areas I travel.

It was a dumb post. He was replying to someone who lives where I live - I live
in the California desert. San Bernardino County, to be exact, and while San
Bernardino County is huge - the largest county in the USA, three and a half
hours from northern border to southern border, a similar drive from west to
east, bordering both NV and AZ - it's also largely UNPOPULATED once you get up
north of Barstow, until you hit the Nevada border; much the same once you get
east of Barstow, where there is a long stretch of Interstate 40 that has no
exits whatsoever. (About a 90-mile stretch, by my calculations.)

Digital coverage is generally pretty good here but in some areas it can be
rather, um... nonexistent. :)

a b Ô Samsung
September 20, 2004 4:43:17 AM

>a complete
>failure" then we will just have to agree to DISagree on that point.

My last three phones which I liked, went to analog often which killed
the battery. I thought it was a must have. For me it is not. I don't
get dropped calls with out analog. I even have always on internet and
great battery life but YMMV.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 20, 2004 6:55:07 AM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Philip® wrote:
>

>> That's all fine and dandy. Why do you say you don't miss analog
>> at all when the specs show the Samsung SGH-i700 to be a GSM /
>> tri-mode phone? If you are saying that retaining analog is
>> "a complete failure" then we will just have to agree to DISagree
>> on that point. Digital is not perfect in areas I travel.
>
> It was a dumb post. He was replying to someone who lives where I
> live - I live in the California desert. San Bernardino County, to
> be exact, and while San Bernardino County is huge - the largest
> county in the USA, three and a half hours from northern border to
> southern border, a similar drive from west to east, bordering both
> NV and AZ - it's also largely UNPOPULATED once you get up north of
> Barstow, until you hit the Nevada border; much the same once you
> get east of Barstow, where there is a long stretch of Interstate
> 40 that has no exits whatsoever. (About a 90-mile stretch, by my
> calculations.)
>
> Digital coverage is generally pretty good here but in some areas
> it can be rather, um... nonexistent. :)
>
> --

I'm in neighboring OC. My traveling takes me out thru Big Bear,
Lucerne Valley, Amboy, and east to Mesa Grande, AZ. Then there's
Vegas / Reno trips. Digital coverage is fine until you venture 3-10
miles from I-10, I-40, I-15, and 395. Then it's analog time. :-)
--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Anonymous

Philip® wrote:

> I'm in neighboring OC. My traveling takes me out thru Big Bear,
> Lucerne Valley, Amboy, and east to Mesa Grande, AZ. Then there's
> Vegas / Reno trips. Digital coverage is fine until you venture 3-10
> miles from I-10, I-40, I-15, and 395. Then it's analog time. :-)

Hello, Neighbor! If you ever come up through Big Bear and Lucerne on Highway
18, and proceed west towards I-15, you will drive past me. Wave to me as you
pass Central Road on Highway 18. I live off Central, a few miles north of 18.

As I understand it, the state contracts with Verizon to provide emergency call
box service, so you should expect good coverage on the state and federal
highways and on the Interstates. (And every inch of the 15 that I've driven
*is* well covered, except the Cajon Pass between the Cajon Summit and the
15/215 split, and anyone who expects usable cell service in a valley between
two mountain ranges is going to be disappointed anyhow.)

Up here, coverage is good (hopefully they've finally fixed the major problems I
had in Victorville) but once you get into the more sparsely populated areas,
like my part of Apple Valley, it's very hit-and-miss. Verizon's coverage in my
neighborhood ends about a mile or so west of my house.

a b Ô Samsung
September 20, 2004 3:47:38 PM

> Philip® wrote:
>
> > I'm in neighboring OC. My traveling takes me out thru Big Bear,
> > Lucerne Valley, Amboy, and east to Mesa Grande, AZ. Then there's
> > Vegas / Reno trips. Digital coverage is fine until you venture
3-10
> > miles from I-10, I-40, I-15, and 395. Then it's analog time.
:-)

> Hello, Neighbor! If you ever come up through Big Bear and Lucerne
on Highway
> 18, and proceed west towards I-15, you will drive past me. Wave to
me as you
> pass Central Road on Highway 18. I live off Central, a few miles
north of 18.

> As I understand it, the state contracts with Verizon to provide
emergency call
> box service, so you should expect good coverage on the state and
federal
> highways and on the Interstates. (And every inch of the 15 that
I've driven
> *is* well covered, except the Cajon Pass between the Cajon Summit
and the
> 15/215 split, and anyone who expects usable cell service in a
valley between
> two mountain ranges is going to be disappointed anyhow.)
>
> Up here, coverage is good (hopefully they've finally fixed the
major problems I
> had in Victorville) but once you get into the more sparsely
populated areas,
> like my part of Apple Valley, it's very hit-and-miss. Verizon's
coverage in my
> neighborhood ends about a mile or so west of my house.
>
> --

:-) I was out past you last week to the Post Office on Green Tree
in Victorville. You make my point about good digital coverage until
one ventures some miles way from the Interstates or major towns.
I've visited Hesperia Airport a few times. I needed analog near
there in a place called (IRONICALLY) ... "Telephone Canyon" LOL

Philip
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 20, 2004 3:47:38 PM

"AndrewJ" <andrewj@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >a complete
> >failure" then we will just have to agree to DISagree on that
point.

> My last three phones which I liked, went to analog often which
killed
> the battery. I thought it was a must have. For me it is not. I
don't
> get dropped calls with out analog. I even have always on internet
and
> great battery life but YMMV.

Two points: Analog has always required more 'juice' to support it
where as digital broadcasts only as needed. Also, any internet
access is done on the digital side with its power saving techniques.

Dropped calls are a digital 'thing' where as analog fades in and out.
That's my experience and I'm sure there are technocrats here with the
mechanicals of it all. LOL

Philip
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 20, 2004 3:47:39 PM

>Two points: Analog has always required more 'juice' to support it
>where as digital broadcasts only as needed. Also, any internet
>access is done on the digital side with its power saving techniques.
>
>Dropped calls are a digital 'thing' where as analog fades in and out.
>That's my experience and I'm sure there are technocrats here with the
>mechanicals of it all. LOL
>
>Philip

Thank you, captain obvious.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 21, 2004 5:53:43 AM

AndrewJ wrote:
>> Two points: Analog has always required more 'juice' to support
>> it where as digital broadcasts only as needed. Also, any
>> internet access is done on the digital side with its power saving
>> techniques.
>>
>> Dropped calls are a digital 'thing' where as analog fades in and
>> out. That's my experience and I'm sure there are technocrats here
>> with the mechanicals of it all. LOL
>>
>> Philip
>
> Thank you, captain obvious.

Hey ... it was the answer you deserved. Sheesh.

Philip
!