Memory for Asus A7v and Abit KT7 Raid?

G

Memory for Asus A7v and Abit KT7 Raid? AMD Thunderbird 800

What memory should I get PC133 or PC100, 128 or 256? Did anyone hear of error correcting meory? Is it needed or do they all have it? Also I'm looking at hard drives. I know to get a 7200 but should it be ATA-66 or ATA-100. It never ends there always seems to be something better for a little more but it starts to add up!

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You should get the PC133 RAM as it is about the same price as PC100 these days. Check pricewatch.com. As far as hard drives, get the IBM 75GXP series. Fastest drives out there. The 30gig is only about $127. If you want really good RAM, go to www.crucial.com and buy some PC133 CAS2

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
error checking and correcting mem (ecc) i believe is for high end servers and stuff...
you don't need it. regular memory is fine...

make sure you get pc 133 ram, so you can run it at 133 Mhz (in the a7v bios set dram to 133Mhz), it's much faster than pc 100 and not that much more expensive.But make sure you go with brand name, ie mushkin, crucial
and if you you want better performance go for pc 133 cas2 instead of pc133 cas3

Most of the better drives that are 7200 rpm are compatible with ata66 and ata 100, like the ibm and maxtor drives.

although no ide hd's today can provide true 100 mb bursts, 66 mb/s is fine so ata100 doesn't really matter... yet

G

the only reason I mentioned ECC memory was because on the AMD web sit they recommended it for the Athlon.

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Gotta endorse for ya everything said here, Crucial is definately where you want to get your memory, because being they are a division of Micron, you know they make theyre own chips and boards...not soldered on in some teenagers basement. Prices are quite good, shipping was good for me. THey were right about ECC, its not neccesary, and ive never heard anyhting about it improving or being of any special help for AMD cpus. It is infantessimaly better than standard, but i doublt youll need or notice the difference. One thing to remember, once you decide, you decide for good as you cant mix ECC and non-ECC ram on the same board.
For the HD, the IBM 75 GXP right now is nearly impossible to top. www.pricewatch will tell you where to go. Ive seen some awesoem prices lately on it, try: <A HREF="http://www.accubyte.com/HardDrives/IBM-UDMA.htm#45GB UDMA-100 7200RPM" target="_new">http://www.accubyte.com/HardDrives/IBM-UDMA.htm#45GB UDMA-100 7200RPM</A>

Happy hunting~!
Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

G

I agree with jojo on most of what he has stated.
There isn't a big point in using ECC RAM for normal home use.
PC133 isn't MUCH faster then people would seem to think, CL2 vs. CL3 RAM (cas2,cas3 latency respectively) is more of an issue of speed, from everything i've ever read and/or had the experience of using. (i have CL2 pc100 now, and it seems faster then the same ammount of CL3, but this will also be due to the 440BX chipset i am using now :)

As for the hard drive, most 7,200rpm drives will be good. Access times within .5ms won't make difference to the nekkid eye. Most 7,200rpm drives can only transfer ~20MB/s, the faster bus (ata/66, ata/100) will help substatially with cache transfers, so a drive with a large cache will be best.. most are 2MB. In my opinion, look for a drive that is 7,200rpm, has atleast a 2MB cache, and it not overly expensive. ata/66 would probably suit you fine.

Hope my info helps.

Regards,

Tim

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
http://OCZ.SAFESHOPPER.COM

OCZ "Select" memory guaranteed 133 Mhz, CAS 2:2:2 and 150 CAS 3:3:3. Hand picked chips.

OCZ "Enhanced" memory guaranteed 150 Mhz, CAS 2:2:2. Hand picked Micron and Infineon chips.

I have a 128MB stick of the OCZ Enhanced memory on my KT7 running a Duron at 1000 Mhz, and memory settings at Fast, 4-Way Interleave, CAS 2. My FSB is stock at 100 Mhz but I have tested it at 107 Mhz.

PC_Man

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2001
Hey go and buy some Kingmax PC150 CAS 2 its really fast and you can get it at mwave.com, I havent had any problem with the ram and on my abit kt7 i have it running at turbo. Very fast and good ram the fastest except ddr 256 mb is 169 and 128 is 72, and you can run it at cas 2 fine it is cas 2 im sure of it i am running at that for 4 months!

PC_MAN