Abit KT-7 Raid and powering

G

Building my own coputer with Abit KT-7 Raid mobo and Athlon T.

Ordering a AMD approved Fong Kai ATX 300W. My question is about the fans.

I know the exaust fan for the power supply runs itself. The cooler/heatsink for the CPU goes to the motherboard.

Then I'm going to have two additional fans(1 exhaust rear & 1 intake front). I could order them either w/ connections to the power supply or motherboard or one to each???

Does the Abit KT-7 Raid have additional connections for these fans or do they have to go to the power supply? And which is the better connection and why? Thanks in advance!

G

this question is quite simple. If you look at a diagram of the board at the site you can see that there are 3 fan headers on the mobo. 1 for the CPU and 2 for other stuff. You can look at the diagram yourself. http://www.motherboards.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=250&

neither is better really. If you get them to the powersupply they arent gona be to the powersupply dirrectly but rather a passthrough to the peripherals (cdrom, hd).

Where are you ordering the fans from and who makes them? Who makes your case? Do you have to order a case?

-Matt-

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am pretty sure I remember 4 fan headers on the KT7 RAID. I remember because I accidently plugged the CPU fan into CPUFAN2 connector so the RPM wasn't read by the hardware monitoring.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

Well, I run KT7-RAID and there are definitely FOUR unnocupied connectors for fans, but ONLY TWO of them are monitored by BIOS and VIA HW monitoring applet. These two are located together near MB ATX power connector. If you want one of additional fans to be monitored, order w/MB connector with really LONG cables.
Good luck!

G

there are 4 fan connectors on your motherboard, they have 3 pins each, and they are somewhere around the board. Look into the manual for this.
the cpu fan uses one of them, and your power supply fan doesn't use one, since it is connected inside the power supply.
I connected three additional case fans (8x8 cm) for my AOpen bigtower case. They had power connectors which fit on those fan connectors on the motherboard, but they each had a little converter too, that made it possible to connect them to the power supply cable, just like your harddrive is connected.
If you use the connector on the motherboard, you will be able to see the rotation speed with some (Windows) software provided with the motherboard, if you connect them to the power supply, you can't see the rotation speed in Windows.
not all fans have these connectors, so you have to find that out just by asking it in the shop.
If you have a bigtower, it might happen that the cable on the fans are too short to connect them to the connectors on the motherboard, that is why i had to connect one of the fans to the power supply.

TRENDING THREADS