CPU upgrade on K7M

G

I am considering a CPU upgrade. I currently have a AMD K7 Athlon 550mhz. MB is an ASUS K7M purchaced last December. Will Slot A T-Bird work on K7M? What is max MHZ for K7M?

G

The K7M will go up to 1 gig with the latest bios. However because of a timing or signal problem it would not reliably run T-bird, if at all. Stick with original slot A Athlon. According the AMD the T-bird should work with 750 chipset but the asus website does not say anything about supporting it. I guess you could try but don't get your hopes up.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dimmwit on 12/07/00 09:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I take it back. The timing problem was with the VIA chipset. After looking around the web it is evident the K7M will support a slot A T-Bird. Asus doesn't mention it on their website for some reason. According to one web site the Asus BIOS disables the L2 cache even though it says it is enabled causing poor performance. You have to load the optimized settings first then make adjustments. Maybe I will try it also with my K7M.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...