Can you figure this out?

G

Ok, so I got my system built. I go to install windows. When the hard drive was in the ATA 66 primary slot on my A7V, windows does not fully load and when it reboots the second time I get an error in the SHELL- KERNL386. something??? If I put the HD in the ATA 100 slot, it loads fully but I can't boot without the disc in the CD-ROM and then it will not let my install anything (I tried several times to install my Gladiac GeFOrce drivers, no luck) it crashes.Any idea what in the world could be going on? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

G

Just tried another windows 98 disc. With the HD in the primary ATA66 slot, it runs setup like normal. However, after the second restart when it is finallizing system settings, it does not setup the contorl panel and all that, just skips all those system settings. It even says it has 8 minutes left but it just restarts. When trying to boot up after the restart, it says KRNL386.exe is not there. We looked for it, it is there? Is my computer on crack?
-Ryan

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have no idea (sorry, I never experienced anything like this), but I do have this to say: installing Windows can be a b*tch! Good luck, I've had my fair share of Windows problems, but luckily it is usually fixable!

Athlon TBird 800
Asus A7V v.1004d
256MB PC133
45GB Maxtor ATA100
Radeon 32MB DDR

G

TheAntipop,
What OS are you using? I think it could be a problem with win 98 itself (the only full version disk that I have is basic 98 and I have 2 copies of that).

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Put hd on primary ide controller. Run Fdisk and format disk 1. In BIOS, select primary master as first boot device, load OS. Then load BM drivers in windows, turn off pc, switch to ATA 100 controller, select that as 1st boot device in BIOS utility. Reboot. Viola?

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

G

Ucoando,
I tried to do that. I made sure that that primary IDE was set to boot second (the floopy had to be first). Same thing happened, it would not finish installing windows. It stopped before configuring the control panel and all that. However, when I boot into safe mode I can get to the control panel, but there is no CD ROM to install anything (not that safe mode would allow me too). I still get the cannot find or load KRNL386.exe warning. Any ideas? Could the RAM be bad?
-Ryan

G

Check yo make sure that you have "AGP Fast Write" disabled, and then make sure that you get the VIA 4in1 drivers installed.

G

Just a hunch, but are you using thermal grease between your processor and heatsink? Or did your heatsink have some type of thermal pad on it? Had a guy at work with a similar problem and he wasn't using thermal paste (metal on processor is all). A little HS grease and all is well. Hasn't crashed once (running Whistler beta and has never turned it off, crashed it, or needed to reboot since the install).

G

I've had similar but not same nightmare's with my a7v. One thing I noticed, is that you need to put the CDRom on the secondary controller and not the primary.

Make sure your cpu is not getting too hot - after you failure you can immediately go into the bios and check the hardware monitor.

If you can try out another stick of RAM that a good idea. If you have another CPU you can throw in there that's also a good idea.

If all fails, take the board back before the warranty is up and get your money.