Razer Barracuda AC-1 & HP-1 in Window 7 64bit

meista

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Good Morning

I hope you can help me - I own a Barracuda AC-1 as well as a HP-1 headset. I had this set up in Windows XP 32bit and got it working brilliantly - I love the combined clarity, comfort and bass (bzzzzzzzz).

However, I recently purchased Windows 7 64bit Home Premium. I installed it this weekend but I have been having trouble setting up the soundcard and headphones to get the same result as I get in Windows XP. I have installed the Windows 7 64bit (Compatible) driver. This time, however, there is no Barracuda AC-1 Control Panel (green and black screen) which normally allows me to make specific changes to the audio. I have only been able to select and test the speakers within Windows 7 Playback Devices. I have played with Quadraphonic, 5.1 and 7.1 settings and still have been unable to achieve the same result as achieved in Windows XP. In fact, if I play some music it only plays through the front two channels as I tested turning down the front channel volume on the headphone volume controller and this turned off all sound.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can achieve the same result as achived within XP where I have a AC-1 Control Panel (green and black screen) and achieve full sound through all channels.

Regards

Paul

Bworm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
well unless they miss labeled them there are drivers for win 7 32 and 64 but im haveing the same problem... everything works but no control panel and when i start my pc it says error.. no profile found but everything works fine... hope they fix this

dyermull

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I realize this thread is kind of old, but I have been experiencing the same issue and have found very little advice in solving the issue while searching online. But my search did bring me here and after trying some things, I believe I have it worked out.

If you want your Barracuda to work in Windows 7 64 bit, try this... On 3/5/2010 there was a Windows 7 Beta driver released (version 2.24). Download it here:
http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=434&nav=0,78,9

The 2.24 driver DID work for my system, but like Meista states, you can't see or launch the Razer AC-1 Control Panel to make any adjustments. So after hours of searching the internet for a fix, I decided to try something different.

The previous version of the driver that I was using was 2.23 for Vista 64 bit. That version also worked with my system, but the control panel was crippled and several options didn't work or weren't available. This version can be downloaded as a .ZIP file and is found here: http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=129&nav=0,78,9

Download that file and extract the .ZIP somewhere. Now find the file "Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio card.exe" from your current version of the driver (probably C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card) and rename it to something else (you may have to kill it in Task Manager first as Windows tries to autostart the crippled file). Go back to your unzipped 2.23 folder and find that same file - it should be in the 'customapp' folder - and copy the 2.23 version of the file to your Program Files directory where you just renamed the 2.24 version of the file.

That's it! Now when I launch the shortcut, the Razer control panel pops right open and it does not look like any of the options are crippled anymore and everything I need seems to be there.

In short, replace the 2.24 Windows 7 version of Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio card.exe in your Program Files with the 2.23 Windows Vista version and it may fix your issue.

Why does this worK??? I don't know. Razer has been very bad at supporting an otherwise excellent product. It worked great in XP, but it's ridiculous that it doesn't work in Windows 7 for everyone (or possibly anyone?) correctly. Windows 7 has been out for long enough.

Vinibotto

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Thank you SO MUCH, I had this same problem and I was pissed cause I couldn't solve it
You just saved my life hahaha

treal512

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Whoa, this worked for me as well.

Thank you for posting your findings, dyermull! I haven't used my AC-1 control panel in a LONG time haha :)

karasu

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
i am glad this post was here i had this same prob with my ac-1 this fix worked for me i like having control of my sound. Thanks a lot to the poster of this fix

Esbornia

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

I love you so much, you are my hero!