DDS Streamer C1521B Cartridge locked

Hello all,

I have got recently a DDS Streamer C1521B.
After trying around to make it work under Linux 2.6.8 on a P IV machine, I
got a "device or resource busy" error.
Moreover, the LED's on the front indicate "flashing yellow" (left) and
"continuous yellow" (right). The tape is ejected, but still locked somehow
in the appliance - I can pull it out for approx 1cm, but I fear to break
something if I pull harder. If I reinsert the tape, it is "swallowed" in
the appliance, but ejected to the former position right after.

Question: How do I get the tape out of the drive now?

With regards,
Hendric

--
Hendric Stattmann, Guntramsdorf, Austria. Registered Linux User #178879

Hendric Stattmann wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have got recently a DDS Streamer C1521B.
> After trying around to make it work under Linux 2.6.8 on a P IV machine, I
> got a "device or resource busy" error.
> Moreover, the LED's on the front indicate "flashing yellow" (left) and
> "continuous yellow" (right). The tape is ejected, but still locked somehow
> in the appliance - I can pull it out for approx 1cm, but I fear to break
> something if I pull harder. If I reinsert the tape, it is "swallowed" in
> the appliance, but ejected to the former position right after.
>
> Question: How do I get the tape out of the drive now?
>
> With regards,
> Hendric

Maybe the tape is twisted around the drum. I believe it's easy to remove
the top of the drive with a screwdriver, which would let you check.

You have a very old tape drive that was subject to wearing out after a few
years. I would not invest much time in trying to get it to work.

-Dave

Hello David,

David Kinsell wrote:
>> Question: How do I get the tape out of the drive now?

> Maybe the tape is twisted around the drum. I believe it's easy to remove
> the top of the drive with a screwdriver, which would let you check.

I actually dismounted the whole device and found exactly what you described.
I "un-messed" the tape around the drum and could eventually remove the
cassette. Now performing a cleaning cycle. We will see what will happen.

> You have a very old tape drive that was subject to wearing out after a few
> years. I would not invest much time in trying to get it to work.

ACK. But I consider it rather as a learning process "making a tape drive
work under Linux". When I am used to save data with this one, I will get
myself a 21st century device for really productive use. :)

With many thanks and regards!
Hendric
--
Hendric Stattmann, Guntramsdorf, Austria. Registered Linux User #178879