Best Chipset

G

Hello! Iwant to buy a Duron processor and a mainbord, I heard that the best chipset for this AMD stuff is the KT133 (recommended by AMD), but some people say that the sis730s its very good too. So, what do you think about it, which of them are the best thing? Any suggestions?

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Via KT133 is the best chipset for a Duron. I agree with Grizely1, the Asus and Abit boards are very good, but I've also heard that the MSI K7T Pro2 board is excellent.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
never mind the SiS730, VIA KT133 is the best chipset for Duron/Athlons. especially if you find it on a Asus A7V or Abit K7T or MSI KT7/KT7 Pro

girish

mpjesse

Splendid
SiS? hahaha!!! they stink... though i heard the SiS chipset for DDR is supposed to be FAST... but i doubt it. VIA usually does the best with chipsets, AMD isn't horrible either...

-MP Jesse

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sure KT133 is the best one around, but watch out for the ALiMagiK1 chipset, it will support PC133 SDRAM AND DDR-SDRAM at the same time. dunno of any motherboard manufacturer will implement them both on the same board, but its sure cool. and performance? I havent seen any performance lag with ALi chipsets yet (I use ALi Aladdin V for my K6-2 350 and it works like P-II).

girish

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I recommend the Asus A7V board.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Contributor "Arrow" suggests an A7V. I strongly recommend against as I have one and it has given me grief from day one. I also run an Abit KT7-Raid which works flawlessly.

My suggestion, do a lot of research on this forum and Anand Tech for some other opinions before parting with your money.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
KT133 is the best chipset though, i have a Asus A7V and I dint have any trouble with it. make sure you have better parts (RAM, display and sound etc.) to compliment it.

girish

G

Take a look at the numerous postings re: problems with the Asus A7V mobo. Abit and MSI are looking better and better by the day....

G

My experience was a rocky start-up, but now it performs just fine. I think it is the most stable of chipsets overall.

Charles