Where to get best gain fro the buck? CPU or MB?

DaveZeb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, I have in my budget the cash to either upgrade my processor to 850 on my BE-6, max speed for the board, or motherboard. Obviously there would be a guaranteed gain from going to an 850, but I wonder if in the long-run, you know, 6 months to a year, it's even worth it.

The reason I think about a motherboard instead is that with my current BE-6, I only have AGPx1, while my geForce2 GTS can handle 4x. As well, I can't overclock my chip very much as it only has adjustible ratio's on the IDE multiplier, not the AGP as well, thus my max is 560mhz, while I believe the chip is capable of more. The question arrises, of course, is it worth spending money on a slot1 MB for any reason right now, with DDR memory soon to be the norm, and the new more powerful chip designs........

Anwyay, if you had $225, what would you do? Buy the CPU, get a new MB, or keep the money in the bank and do a heartier upgrade in the near future.

btw, I primarily use my system for gaming, might be good to keep that in mind.

Thanks much!

here's my box:
PIII 500 (sometimes run @ 560)
NEW: 256MB Crucial pc100
WD 18GB 7200 ATA66
Maxtor 20GB 7200 ATA66
ABIT BE-6
Soundblaster Live! Platinum
ASUS GeForce2 GTS 32MB
Panasonic HV DVD
Acer CD-RW 32x4x4
3COM NIC
WIN98

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Why not go for a Duron and board combo?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you strongly commited to an Intel processor? seems like your board should do agp 2x. Not much difference in 2x to 4x at all so don't sweat that. A duron/t-bird is a nice alternative but you would want to go to pc-133 memory as well for maximum benefits, this is true for a I815 motherboard as well although the Ram you have can run in it if you set it up in bios.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would get the PIII 700 FC-PGA and a slotket. That way, you can try overclocking to 133FSB (your vid card should handle it) and get 933 on the cheap, and you'll have an FC-PGA processor handy if you ever do upgrade to a newer board. The Abit SlotketIII is avialable for $10 on Pricewatch and the PIII 700 FC-PGA for $130 ($142 in a retail box).

Suicide is painless...........