Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What percentage of Verizon phones are capable of receiving..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 5:44:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I am tasked with buying software that will have to send very short
text messages to Verizon phones.

I want it to work with older cell phones too, not just the latest and
greatest cell phones.

What is the lowest common denominator way to get messages to all
verizon cell phones? Specifically what is the message format (sms,
vtext, or phonenum@verizon.net etc etc etc)?

Hope this is clear!
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 4:52:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"rudy" <notvalidaddress@invalid.org> wrote in message news:ep0nk0tk36b62dj2t4tqsgcrigaj07knei@4ax.com...
>
> I am just reading this thread. Was it mentioned that VZW will block
> any address you give them sending you txt msgs you don't want? They
> do.
>

How frequently do you get more than one or two spam messages
from the same (apparent) address?
Address blocking is ineffective.
---JRC---
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 4:52:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote in message
news:REL2d.19077$_z4.13981@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
"rudy" <notvalidaddress@invalid.org> wrote in message
news:ep0nk0tk36b62dj2t4tqsgcrigaj07knei@4ax.com...
>
> I am just reading this thread. Was it mentioned that VZW will block
> any address you give them sending you txt msgs you don't want? They
> do.
>

How frequently do you get more than one or two spam messages
from the same (apparent) address?
Address blocking is ineffective.
---JRC---

You can *only* block about 15 addresses at a time.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 4:52:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Peter Pan wrote:
> "John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote in message
> news:REL2d.19077$_z4.13981@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
> "rudy" <notvalidaddress@invalid.org> wrote in message
> news:ep0nk0tk36b62dj2t4tqsgcrigaj07knei@4ax.com...
>>
>> I am just reading this thread. Was it mentioned that VZW will block
>> any address you give them sending you txt msgs you don't want? They
>> do.
>>
>
> How frequently do you get more than one or two spam messages
> from the same (apparent) address?
> Address blocking is ineffective.
> ---JRC---
>
> You can *only* block about 15 addresses at a time.

Apparently what they don't have that would help is white lists?

-Quick
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 7:10:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:38:23 GMT, rudy <notvalidaddress@invalid.org>
wrote:

>I am just reading this thread. Was it mentioned that VZW will block
>any address you give them sending you txt msgs you don't want? They
>do.

Yes, but we will all need crystal balls to forecast what addresses the
spam we get will be from. What VZW needs is white listing capability.
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 10:42:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
news:mnnnk0tf1i1ru80m5t5jt25q2pvctlb6hb@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:38:23 GMT, rudy <notvalidaddress@invalid.org>
> wrote:
>
> >I am just reading this thread. Was it mentioned that VZW will block
> >any address you give them sending you txt msgs you don't want? They
> >do.
>
> Yes, but we will all need crystal balls to forecast what addresses the
> spam we get will be from. What VZW needs is white listing capability.

White lists are the only solution. I pay the bills on four different
phones, and I've had text messaging disabled on each of them because of txt
spam.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 12:44:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Joe Kaffe wrote:

> "The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> news:mnnnk0tf1i1ru80m5t5jt25q2pvctlb6hb@4ax.com...
>
>>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:38:23 GMT, rudy <notvalidaddress@invalid.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I am just reading this thread. Was it mentioned that VZW will block
>>>any address you give them sending you txt msgs you don't want? They
>>>do.
>>
>>Yes, but we will all need crystal balls to forecast what addresses the
>>spam we get will be from. What VZW needs is white listing capability.
>
>
> White lists are the only solution.

I'd have been happy with similar controls to the ones I allow people to use on
my Internet mail server...


--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 3:25:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1095471360.274742@sj-nntpcache-5...
<snip>
>
> Apparently what they don't have that would help is white lists?
>
> -Quick
>
>

That is not acceptable. Sending of spam to email or cell phones is not
a function of my having a white list or having to block anyone or not
have full use of my cellular which I pay for and not to have some scum
bag phone spammer try and make a quick buck on my service. And that
includes any email spammers as well.

Elector
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 6:10:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Joe Kaffe wrote:
> "The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> news:mnnnk0tf1i1ru80m5t5jt25q2pvctlb6hb@4ax.com...
>>
>> Yes, but we will all need crystal balls to forecast what
>> addresses the spam we get will be from. What VZW needs is white
>> listing capability.
>
> White lists are the only solution. I pay the bills on four
> different phones, and I've had text messaging disabled on each of
> them because of txt spam.



Please bear with me .... what is meant by a "white list?"

Philip
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 6:10:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Philip®" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:BU53d.1396$qA6.1004@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Please bear with me .... what is meant by a "white list?"


Geez, use your imagination a bit eh?

Now I'm sure that you know what a 'black list' is??

Well a 'white list' is just the opposite (a list of people that are the only
ones you want to receive email from)...


--
God Bless America!

Bob the Printer


Our web pages are located at:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bdolson/
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 8:16:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Bob the Printer wrote:
> "Philip®" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:BU53d.1396$qA6.1004@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> Please bear with me .... what is meant by a "white list?"
>
>
> Geez, use your imagination a bit eh?
>
> Now I'm sure that you know what a 'black list' is??
>
> Well a 'white list' is just the opposite (a list of people that
> are the only ones you want to receive email from)...
>
> Bob the Printer


Ok, thank you, Bob. When I hear jargon, I've learned long ago to
inquire what is meant. :-)

Philip
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 7:02:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <BU53d.1396$qA6.1004@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Philip®" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote:

> Please bear with me .... what is meant by a "white list?"

A white list is a list of people/phone numbers/email addresses/etc. that
you will accept incoming mail/messages/calls/etc. from.

It's software or firmware driven, and the exact method depends on the
medium used.

For instance in email, if you can set up your email software to
automatically killfile messages from addresses that are not in a list
you maintain, that's a white list. As an extreme example, I can set up
my email program to reject mail from any address that is not in my
address book.

White lists, though, are best implemented at the server than at the
client, if possible.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 1:32:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Thanks for the info it is appreciated. So a Verizon analog phone
cannot get receive messages, is that correct? Does Verizon still
support analog phones?

Thanks,
Tom
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 3:47:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Thomas Miller" <thomasamillergoogle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5ead8b72.0409192032.724e9c24@posting.google.com...
> Thanks for the info it is appreciated. So a Verizon analog phone
> cannot get receive messages, is that correct? Does Verizon still
> support analog phones?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom


The tri-mode phones default to Digital with some automatically
switching (others manually) to analog as conditions require. You
have text messaging and voice mail notification only in Digital mode.

Philip
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 10:30:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <urz3d.461$g42.269@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Philip® <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote:
> You have text messaging and voice mail notification only in Digital mode.

Depends on the area. In northern California, if you are on VZW analog
for some reason (e.g., in a fringe coverage area), you will get VM
notification and text messaging, which are sent over the AMPS control
channel (which actually is digital!). The text messages are broken up
into up to four parts, each received as a separate message, to deal
with the limited number of spare bytes they were able to find in the
AMPS control protocol. I've personally seen this quite a few times, as
I transition from an non-VZW area to a VZW area.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 12:54:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote in message news:<1lF3d.21691$RE3.13617@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> In article <urz3d.461$g42.269@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Philip® <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote:
> > You have text messaging and voice mail notification only in Digital mode.
>
> Depends on the area. In northern California, if you are on VZW analog
> for some reason (e.g., in a fringe coverage area), you will get VM
> notification and text messaging, which are sent over the AMPS control
> channel (which actually is digital!). The text messages are broken up
> into up to four parts, each received as a separate message, to deal
> with the limited number of spare bytes they were able to find in the
> AMPS control protocol. I've personally seen this quite a few times, as
> I transition from an non-VZW area to a VZW area.

Thanks Charles and Philip for answering my questions so clearly.

Is it possible that there are still some users who have a *very old*
analog-only Verizon phone (no tri-mode) that are NOT capapble of
receiving text messages at all?

Thanks,
Tom
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:01:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Thomas Miller" <thomasamillergoogle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5ead8b72.0409220754.402af44a@posting.google.com...
<snip>
> Is it possible that there are still some users who have a *very old*
> analog-only Verizon phone (no tri-mode) that are NOT capapble of
> receiving text messages at all?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

I think the answer I and other gave made it quite clear that "Analog"
does not send or receive txt. Cannot be any more clear than that. it
has to be Digital.

Elector
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:11:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Thomas Miller wrote:
> hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote in message
> news:<1lF3d.21691$RE3.13617@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
>> In article <urz3d.461$g42.269@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>> Philip® <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote:
>>> You have text messaging and voice mail notification only in
>>> Digital mode.
>>
>> Depends on the area. In northern California, if you are on VZW
>> analog
>> for some reason (e.g., in a fringe coverage area), you will get VM
>> notification and text messaging, which are sent over the AMPS
>> control
>> channel (which actually is digital!). The text messages are
>> broken up
>> into up to four parts, each received as a separate message, to
>> deal
>> with the limited number of spare bytes they were able to find in
>> the
>> AMPS control protocol. I've personally seen this quite a few
>> times, as
>> I transition from an non-VZW area to a VZW area.
>
> Thanks Charles and Philip for answering my questions so clearly.
>
> Is it possible that there are still some users who have a *very
> old*
> analog-only Verizon phone (no tri-mode) that are NOT capapble of
> receiving text messages at all?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom


Yea Verily! I have a friend in Riverside who INSISTS on using an
old analog phone on Verizon that he bought on eBay simply because he
has big stubby fingers and needs a LARGE keyboard. I think it's an
old Nokia. But being analog only means it cannot process text
messages at all.

Philip
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:11:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Philip® wrote:

> Yea Verily! I have a friend in Riverside who INSISTS on using an
> old analog phone on Verizon that he bought on eBay simply because he
> has big stubby fingers and needs a LARGE keyboard. I think it's an
> old Nokia. But being analog only means it cannot process text
> messages at all.

Mmm, that's more likely because the phone itself doesn't support text messaging
than because the network doesn't. I used to use analog on GTE Mobilenet and
would get voice mail indicators in analog mode when I drove out to Upstate New
York... of course I generally only got the VM in the Erie area, because it too
was GTE - New York was Bell Titanic.


--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:42:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in
news:HSk4d.80472$Kt5.46067@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

>
> I think the answer I and other gave made it quite clear that "Analog"
> does not send or receive txt. Cannot be any more clear than that. it
> has to be Digital.
>

Nonsense. I used to plug my 2400 baud modem into my bagphone's POTS
interface box and got email from my provider on AMPS.

You could plug your house into the POTS interface box and it would ring all
the telephones and modems plugged into your phone line....if you
disconnected the landline, first....(c; It even decoded Touchtones(R), to
Bellsouth's dismay.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 8:20:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <S%k4d.7263$gG4.3975@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Philip® <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote:
>Yea Verily! I have a friend in Riverside who INSISTS on using an
>old analog phone on Verizon that he bought on eBay simply because he
>has big stubby fingers and needs a LARGE keyboard. I think it's an
>old Nokia. But being analog only means it cannot process text
>messages at all.

Just to summarize:

Old, analog-only phones cannot process text messages; only some tri-mode
phones, in some areas, can receive text messages when in analog mode.

In analog mode, you can send conventional modem tones to send "data".
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 10:20:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

CharlesH wrote:
> In article <S%k4d.7263$gG4.3975@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Philip® <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote:
>> Yea Verily! I have a friend in Riverside who INSISTS on using an
>> old analog phone on Verizon that he bought on eBay simply because
>> he has big stubby fingers and needs a LARGE keyboard. I think
>> it's an old Nokia. But being analog only means it cannot process
>> text messages at all.
>
> Just to summarize:
>
> Old, analog-only phones cannot process text messages; only some
> tri-mode phones, in some areas, can receive text messages when in
> analog mode.
>
> In analog mode, you can send conventional modem tones to send
> "data".


I have a tri-mode phone (Audiovox 9155) that has a "force analog"
feature. When in Analog, I can dial out but those calling me while
I'm in Analog get redirected to Voice Mail box. I get NO
notification that a Voice Mail is waiting UNTIL ... the phone is
switched back to Analog. Of course, I also cannot send or recieve
ANY SMS Text while in Analog. I'm in the OC area, SoCal

Philip
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 10:26:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Philip® wrote:
> I have a tri-mode phone (Audiovox 9155) that has a "force analog"
> feature. When in Analog, I can dial out but those calling me
> while I'm in Analog get redirected to Voice Mail box. I get NO
> notification that a Voice Mail is waiting UNTIL ... the phone is
> switched back to Analog. Of course, I also cannot send or recieve
> ANY SMS Text while in Analog. I'm in the OC area, SoCal
>
> Philip


Ahem.... didn't catch myself in time.

Should read: ".... UNTIL ... the phone is switched back to DIGITAL."

Sorry 'bout that error folks.

Philip
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:25:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:Xns956CC8FB4E611w4csc@63.223.5.244...
> "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in
> news:HSk4d.80472$Kt5.46067@twister.nyroc.rr.com:
>
>>
>> I think the answer I and other gave made it quite clear that
>> "Analog"
>> does not send or receive txt. Cannot be any more clear than that.
>> it
>> has to be Digital.
>>
>
> Nonsense. I used to plug my 2400 baud modem into my bagphone's POTS
> interface box and got email from my provider on AMPS.
>
> You could plug your house into the POTS interface box and it would
> ring all
> the telephones and modems plugged into your phone line....if you
> disconnected the landline, first....(c; It even decoded
> Touchtones(R), to
> Bellsouth's dismay.
>
>
>

Larry, please read carefully. We are not talking about modem couplers
or duplex sending tones to central computers we are talking about TEXT
Messages.

You cannot send or receive any Text Messages with analog service.
Digital Yes. I am going to assume the original poster was meaning
phone to phone, or computer to phone via vtext.com or email interface.

Elector
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 4:19:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote in message news:<eas4d.24391$Bl.2067@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> In article <S%k4d.7263$gG4.3975@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Philip® <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote:
> >Yea Verily! I have a friend in Riverside who INSISTS on using an
> >old analog phone on Verizon that he bought on eBay simply because he
> >has big stubby fingers and needs a LARGE keyboard. I think it's an
> >old Nokia. But being analog only means it cannot process text
> >messages at all.
>
> Just to summarize:
>
> Old, analog-only phones cannot process text messages; only some tri-mode
> phones, in some areas, can receive text messages when in analog mode.
>
> In analog mode, you can send conventional modem tones to send "data".

Thanks Philip for your clear answer.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 5:00:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:Boy4d.241025$bp1.87697@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
> "Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns956CC8FB4E611w4csc@63.223.5.244...
> > "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in
> > news:HSk4d.80472$Kt5.46067@twister.nyroc.rr.com:
> >
> >>
> >> I think the answer I and other gave made it quite clear that
> >> "Analog"
> >> does not send or receive txt. Cannot be any more clear than
that.
> >> it
> >> has to be Digital.
> >>
> >
> > Nonsense. I used to plug my 2400 baud modem into my bagphone's
POTS
> > interface box and got email from my provider on AMPS.
> >
> > You could plug your house into the POTS interface box and it
would
> > ring all
> > the telephones and modems plugged into your phone line....if you
> > disconnected the landline, first....(c; It even decoded
> > Touchtones(R), to
> > Bellsouth's dismay.
> >
> >
> >
>
> Larry, please read carefully. We are not talking about modem
couplers
> or duplex sending tones to central computers we are talking about
TEXT
> Messages.
>
> You cannot send or receive any Text Messages with analog service.
> Digital Yes. I am going to assume the original poster was meaning
> phone to phone, or computer to phone via vtext.com or email
interface.
>
> Elector


I have discovered something about sms text messaging that I find I
have to account for. When I compose a message with Outlook Express
on my laptop, the default format is HTML graphic representation of
text. This goes through and displays on recipients' wireless phones
just fine. But when the recipient is one of those text capable
pagers, I have to be SURE to reset the email format to "Plain Text"
otherwise the recipient gets all garbage characters. What is, is but
..... what's up with text pagers in this respect?

Philip
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 5:00:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Philip® wrote:
>
> I have discovered something about sms text messaging that I find I
> have to account for. When I compose a message with Outlook Express
> on my laptop, the default format is HTML graphic representation of
> text. This goes through and displays on recipients' wireless phones
> just fine. But when the recipient is one of those text capable
> pagers, I have to be SURE to reset the email format to "Plain Text"
> otherwise the recipient gets all garbage characters. What is, is but
> .... what's up with text pagers in this respect?

Ok, just a guess... You know how you can hit Format->Plain text
in Outlook while replying to a HTML formatted message? The
software that processes pager messages doesn't do that and
the pager itself doesn't know HTML so it displays all those
control characters as garbage.

-Quick
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 5:30:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Thomas Miller wrote:
> hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote in message
> news:<eas4d.24391$Bl.2067@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
>> In article <S%k4d.7263$gG4.3975@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>> Philip® <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote:
>>> Yea Verily! I have a friend in Riverside who INSISTS on using an
>>> old analog phone on Verizon that he bought on eBay simply because he
>>> has big stubby fingers and needs a LARGE keyboard. I think it's an
>>> old Nokia. But being analog only means it cannot process text
>>> messages at all.
>>
>> Just to summarize:
>>
>> Old, analog-only phones cannot process text messages; only some
>> tri-mode phones, in some areas, can receive text messages when in
>> analog mode.
>>
>> In analog mode, you can send conventional modem tones to send "data".
>
> Thanks Philip for your clear answer.

Larry thanks you too... -:) 
!