newbie down....help!

G

I have an old computer, tyan tomcat cyrix 166, anyway I just bought a asus a7v. I was hoping to use some of my old componets sound card, modem, video card; but only the v card will fit. What gives? The sound card is a very early version of sb 64. Do I have an ISA sound card?? I am very confused, call me Bambi even. What should I do, buy new cards if so, what?

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With a computer that old, they are most likely ISA cards. As for a sound card, everyone says that the Soundblaster live! cards are the best, but I've never used one. Maybe someone else would have more input for you.

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm the A7V doesn't have one ISA slot? I'd keep the ISA modem if you do have 1 ISA slot and go with the SBLive. No Platnum needed. By the way your memory is DIMM? only 66 MHz I bet. So make sure to set it for that IN THE BIOS. That would be the nest thing to upgrade. 128 mb at most will due. 64 would even be a great start.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like an ISA modem and soundcard. The A7V does not have an ISA slot. ISA's are old and almost phased out. Your going to have to buy a new modem and soundcard if you want to use the A7V. Soundcards are cheap. You can buy a SB Live! Value card for about $50.00. Modems vary greatly, but you should be able to get a good one for $60.00.

So I'd go with a SB Live! sound card...and if you have the money get a Sportster modem (~$100.00). Just do not get a WinModem! They rob your CPU...

Good Luck

G

I've got a Tomcat III-S which I haven't used in a while. Keep in mind that you've got a PCI video card. Depending on your card, you may want to add a new, inexpensive AGP card on your list of future purchases. But you certainly don't need to do this right away.

I've got a 16 meg. PCI TNT card I put in the Tomcat when they dropped to $99. When my AGP GeForce 32-meg DDR card died on me a few months ago, I used the TNT card until my replacemet arrived. It was okay for office-type apps, but what a tremendous performance difference in games and anything else that was "video intensive."

Out of curiosity, I presume you had to get a new ATX case, too?

Mike

TRENDING THREADS