Far Cry 3

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

Really? I loved the single player campaign of FarCry 2. It felt like Oblivion (the FarCry version).

On the other hand, the multiplayer was... in your words, a "disappointment" I'll give you that.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Far Cry 2's performance is amazing! The "Dunia" engine is a work of art. It can be maxed out using a single enthusiast-level GPU.

While Crysis struggles to get over 30 fps in most cases with 3-4 enthusiast GPU's, on high resolutions and with AA applied.

I hope Far Cry 3 runs just as well.

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
My opinion is that the single player campaign was boring... so boring that I didn't finished it although I always finish my games. Another game I didn't finish is Falout 3...
But first Far Cry... Damn, one of my favorites...

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

I dunno, my 5870 can play Crysis and Farcry 2 at max with playable FPS (30 minimum).

Edit: 1920x1200, 4xAA in FC2, using the built-in EDAA or whatever for Crysis.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

I'm guessing Two HD 5870's in CF will run Crysis at an average of 40-50 fps? very high/enthusiast on 1920x1080 resolution?

alienzander76

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I must be one of the only people that enjoys Far Cry 2. Although I waited till it was in the bargain bin for $10 before getting it. I am running it on my m15x alienware with 9800GT 512MB and 4GB of ram at 1080P on a 42" LCD and I get 35fps with all settings on high. So, I think the engine is one of the best i've seen as far as looking great and running even better especially on my older system. Games like Mafia 2 and Just cause 2 I have to run on my desktop rig equipped with a GTX 460 1GB to see that same performance.
Crysis is a dog even on my desktop so, I think that it's code isn't written well and is sloppy. Warhead looks as good and runs circles around it. I wish people would stop using Crysis to compare benchmarks as I believe it wasn't coded right.

The performance running on the machine was fine, it was the game content that sucked.

What I did not like about Farcry2 was the malaria and having to basically put the game progress on hold until you acquired more pills, the weapons jamming at the worst possible moment, and repeatedly missions ending up being on the far side of the map and sometimes the reward just as far to get back to. The size of the playing field really wasn't that big if you compare it to the original FarCry, but after you go back and forth across it about 30 times, it at least seems huge.

I played through the game a couple of times and then figured out how to really make it interesting, just go into one of the neutral territory towns, and blow someone away and then see if you can last until all the bad guys are dead.

That's like walking up to a hornets nest and kicking it, try it.

alienzander76

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010

ROFL, That's exactly what I do when I'm bored in the game. The first time it was by stealing one their diamonds they were gaurding. The malaria thing does get old as does the long treks across the map. Really, this game is more of a time waster for me than anything. Once I got all the weaponry I wanted, I started to sneak around with the silenced MP5 and silenced Makerov and assassinate. The reason I still play it is that it looks good, runs fast, loads fast and works well with my wireless X-Box controller. Of course Mafia 2 on my desktop PC has all that and more.