Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 7 much slower than XP

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 16, 2010 1:43:33 PM

Hello,

We upgraded our workstation from XP Pro on an AMD6400 3.3G dual processor with 4G Ram to a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a AMD965 3.4 quad 8G Ram (tired of the out of memory errors). No overclocking or any changes to the BIOS.

Although I did expect it to be faster did not expect it to be twice as slow.

MSIE 8 takes about 5 secs and load to google. On my OLD AMD2800 1.5G it takes 1 sec.

A large VB6 compile of a on the XP AMD6400 takes 20 secs (the source is on the win7 machinee) but takes 50 secs on the Win7 machine.

Everything just seems slower on win7.

How can I speed it up?

So far Win 7 has been a big disappointment. But nobody takes credit on the commercials saying it was their idea:-)

More about : windows slower

a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2010 12:46:13 AM

Nice one on the commercial joke! This is surprising, as my upgrade from XP to Win7 greatly increased speed on the same machine, to say nothing of the even bigger leap once I bought a new PC with Win7 preloaded.
Are you sure that you have all the latest drivers installed on your new PC? And what about background programs, e.g., security software? Is it the same as you had on the XP workstation?
m
0
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 17, 2010 1:41:04 AM

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Have the disks changed at all? Does task manager show high CPU utilization when you're doing disk I/O? I'm wondering if the system has gotten itself into PIO mode somehow.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2010 6:49:10 AM

I can say with some confidence that Win7 is at least as fast if not faster on the same hardware as XP ever was. It should fly on a Phenom II 965 with 8GB of RAM.

My guess is that something is not configured properly. How exactly did you go about installing Windows 7?
m
0
l
a c 370 $ Windows 7
September 17, 2010 3:26:33 PM

This is probably redundant as other have posted the same thing, but all of the PCs I have installed Win7 on have worked faster on the same hardware as Win XP.

Even some older 4-5 yr old machines with 1gig of RAM were faster with Win 7.

There is something not right with your setup.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2010 7:28:12 PM

hang-the-9 said:
This is probably redundant as other have posted the same thing, but all of the PCs I have installed Win7 on have worked faster on the same hardware as Win XP.

Even some older 4-5 yr old machines with 1gig of RAM were faster with Win 7.

There is something not right with your setup.

^+1.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2010 7:28:42 PM

Quote:
No way it can be slow.when i upgraded i found win7 as fast as xp and win7 even improved my game performance.

^+2..
m
0
l
September 24, 2010 12:43:07 AM

On another forum I am getting others also saying Win 7 64 bit is slower than XP as does a relative who works a windows help desk for the US Army.

There are all 64 bit systems. Are the ones you are talking about 32 or 64.

The HDs are the same as XP except Drive 0 (C Drive)
m
0
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 2:22:05 AM

The 64-bit version of Windows does use a little more memory, and on a system with a marginal amount RAM it's possible that you could experience a little bit of slowdown if some of the program's working set is pushed out to the pagefile as a result.

But your initial post referred to an 8GB system, and it's hard for me to believe that you'd have a memory issue with that much RAM. When your system is slow what does the Memory graph in Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) indicate?

My 64-bit Windows 7 system certainly isn't noticeably slower than my old 32-bit XP system was.
m
0
l
a c 370 $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 1:33:28 PM

Are you running 32 bit apps or 16 bit apps on 64 bit windows? I can see it being slower if it's running in native 64bit code.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 2:23:04 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Are you running 32 bit apps or 16 bit apps on 64 bit windows? I can see it being slower if it's running in native 64bit code.

You can't run 16-bit apps right in Win7 64-bit. I found this out when trying to install an old game. You would need some sort of 32-bit virtualization or emulation layer that could in turn run the 16-bit app.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 6:00:57 PM

QuickBooksDev said:
On another forum I am getting others also saying Win 7 64 bit is slower than XP as does a relative who works a windows help desk for the US Army.

There are all 64 bit systems. Are the ones you are talking about 32 or 64.

The HDs are the same as XP except Drive 0 (C Drive)


The speed difference is very subjective. I use both the 32 and 64bit versions, and their performance is mostly identical.
m
0
l
October 1, 2010 11:14:29 AM

THIS IS THE ANSWER. I did not see a Best Answer button on my own reply.

The speed difference here was not subjected - it was measured.

The problem has been identified as a 'settings' on the ASUS mother board. There is a program that run and can set the speed to Max Performance, Max Power Savings or Auto. It seems to default to Max Power Savings but when changed to Max Performance then the system is faster. Auto is better but it starts slower then speeds up. After a reboot is seems to be back to Max Power Savings. We ar still looking on how to change to settings on startup to Auto.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 1, 2010 11:17:02 AM

^
what's it say in the motherboard manual.?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2010 2:47:39 AM

QuickBooksDev said:
THIS IS THE ANSWER. I did not see a Best Answer button on my own reply.

The speed difference here was not subjected - it was measured.

The problem has been identified as a 'settings' on the ASUS mother board. There is a program that run and can set the speed to Max Performance, Max Power Savings or Auto. It seems to default to Max Power Savings but when changed to Max Performance then the system is faster. Auto is better but it starts slower then speeds up. After a reboot is seems to be back to Max Power Savings. We ar still looking on how to change to settings on startup to Auto.

Yah, they disable "Best Answer" for your own posts to avoid cheating to gain extra points and badges. It is too bad for those cases where you actually do solve your own problem, but I understand why Tom's does it.
It wasn't quite clear from your first post that you had switched motherboards as well as CPUs. Maybe that info would have helped us solve the problem sooner.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2010 12:07:38 PM

Bolbi said:
Yah, they disable "Best Answer" for your own posts to avoid cheating to gain extra points and badges. It is too bad for those cases where you actually do solve your own problem, but I understand why Tom's does it.
It wasn't quite clear from your first post that you had switched motherboards as well as CPUs. Maybe that info would have helped us solve the problem sooner.

so true.
next time try not to leave anything out..
m
0
l
October 12, 2010 12:45:45 AM

The old system still works. I really hate Win 7 and am thinking of getting a new XP system.

I really do not care about Tom's badge's.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2010 7:15:41 AM

QuickBooksDev said:
The old system still works. I really hate Win 7 and am thinking of getting a new XP system.

OK, so you've solved the speed issue. What's your next complaint? "I really hate Windows 7" is a bit vague..
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2010 11:19:48 AM

Herr_Koos said:
OK, so you've solved the speed issue. What's your next complaint? "I really hate Windows 7" is a bit vague..

^+1
right on Herr_Koos..
m
0
l
!