MSI K7T Pro 2A + 3D = problems?

G

Subject: KT7 Pro 2A and video problems

I've been experiencing extremely annoying flickering with my new system. I guess I might as well list the specs

Thunderbird 900 @ 900
MSI K7T Pro 2A
32 MB Visiontek GeForce 2 GTS
Thermaltake chrome orb
128 MB Crucial PC133 cas 2 RAM
20 GB 7200 RPG harddrive
Win 98 (original)

In Direct3D and OpenGL, the screen flickers constantly. I don't think it is artifacting, as it even happens in the logo screen for UT. The only other 3D app I have installed is 3DMark2000, which also suffered from very bad flickering. I first assumed this was my video card, and even got an RMA. Then I decided I would try my old TNT2 just to be sure. The TNT2 flickered as well. I tried turning all the speed options for video in bios down/off (no AGP 4x, no fast read/writes), made sure vertical sync was on, got the new 4 in 1 Via drivers... still, no luck. This is really getting frustrating. I tried to get new bios from MSI's websight, but I kept timing out when running their bios detection/retrival utility.

Anyone have any similiar problems/fixes? From what I read at Anand's... I thought this was definetely the best motherboard for the socket A platform around, unfortunetly, it's hasn't been all great for me :(

G

Update:

I got the new bios, version 1.8, but still haven't fixed the problem. I hear the mobo doesn't like having the hard drive and CD drive on the same IDE, but I doubt that has anything to do with screen flicker.

G

I just bought that same mainboard for my dad and will install it very soon for him. I hope I won't run into the same problems, but I think that's not likely. I'd do three things....:
A. First check the monitor, if it isn't damaged at the connector or so.... I encountered that problem once..... one pin in the monitor cable came loose.
B. It's your Windows display refresh-rate to high (>85hz)?Plug and plug monitors tend to exagerrate (darn word) their own capacities sometimes.
C. If the problems persists with an other AGP card as well (your TNT2), then the board (the AGP slot itself?) could be defective..... call for RMA at your MSI dealer... Good luck... tell us if you find the problem.

G

I am reinstalling Windows now, just got win98 in and SE is installing now. I used that monitor in my own system (700 mhz athlon with GF2 MX) and have seen it hit 100 fps @ 800x600 in UT, and did so fine. As soon as I saw the flicker with my TNT2, I tried the GeForce 2 GTS in my 700, to see it work fine. I am damn sure that the video card is not the problem, and nearly as sure it isn't the monitor.

SE just completed... I am hopin for the best.

G

Seems to me you tried all possible options, it's time to ask MSI for help..... maybe they have something we haven't thought about (something in the bios like video Ram Cacheable, Shadow memory or the oother video related feature.... (I'm forgetting one option my old PCI Graphics Blaster card had big problems with... on my TX-board... oh well)). After that suggest to send them your mainboard... Good luck.

Basel