Ping Los Angeles San Diego or other area ED-VO data users

I am enticed by the ED-VO data rate, and though not offical, there are a few
locations intermittantly offering ED-VO. Anyone have one, and using it?
11 answers Last reply
More about ping angeles diego area data users

    Using WHAT?

    Bob the Printer wrote:

    > Using WHAT?

    Broadband Access, the DSL-speed wireless data access service from Verizon
    Wireless that is slowly being rolled out nationwide. Broadband Access uses
    1xEV-DO. NationalAccess/Express Network uses 1xRTT and achieves (generally)
    speeds around those of a dialup modem connection.

    > Bob the Printer wrote:
    >
    > > Using WHAT?
    >
    > Broadband Access, the DSL-speed wireless data access service from Verizon
    > Wireless that is slowly being rolled out nationwide. Broadband Access uses
    > 1xEV-DO. NationalAccess/Express Network uses 1xRTT and achieves
    (generally)
    > speeds around those of a dialup modem connection.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    sjsobol@JustThe.net
    > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

    Excuse me!?!?!??!??!?!?!!??!?!! No way in heck that NA is as slow as you
    said..
    "NationalAccess/Express Network uses 1xRTT and achieves (generally) speeds
    around those of a dialup modem connection".....
    My National Access is WAY WAY faster than dial-up, I generally get about
    100K connects and I've never seen one less than 60K and that's faster than a
    56K dial-up! (Hint 100 ((even 60)) is a bigger number than 56... unless you
    are dividing by 3 for your kids)..

    But for the person that asked the original Q, I use it in Las Vegas
    (Thankfully, cuz I downloaded SP2, would have taken 31 hours with regular
    dial-up!), and depending on a lot of factors, get around 600 to 800.. The
    biggest problem is that I use a network with ICS (Internet Connection
    Sharing.. yes I have a network in my motel room, 3 notebooks Two wireless
    and one wired, Hot spot named PP-LV), and that is SPECIFICALLY blocked in
    the software that supports the EV-DO (Had to get a new mobile office to use
    with the new aircard, and it (the new software that supports the card)
    specifically blocked sharing a high speed internet connection on the network
    when using the high speed card, using the old phone with 1X it worked fine
    and shared, but as soon as I switched back to the card, it stopped
    working/sharing).

    Peter Pan wrote:
    > "NationalAccess/Express Network uses 1xRTT and achieves (generally)
    > speeds around those of a dialup modem connection".....
    > My National Access is WAY WAY faster than dial-up, I generally get
    > about 100K connects and I've never seen one less than 60K and that's
    > faster than a 56K dial-up! (Hint 100 ((even 60)) is a bigger number
    > than 56... unless you are dividing by 3 for your kids)..

    Actually the speed you get depends on distance to towers, congestion
    etc. For example in the previous house I lived in, I always got
    115kbs (tested using an Internet based speed tester).

    In my new house, I am lucky to sustain 33kbps for more than a few
    seconds.

    VZW tries to set the expectations appropriately and I think does
    a reasonable job. It is better to let people think they will
    get modem like speeds and be pleasantly surprised by getting
    more as in your case.

    And as someone who spent *many* hours at airports dialed in on
    QNC at 14.4, 33 is a nice improvement :-)

    Roger

    I'm in the Long Beach area and we had ev-do running pretty constantly
    for a week or so. Its been about 10 days since I've seen it up and
    running here but tech support sorta let slip when I was on the line
    with them a couple of days ago that we should be an "official" ev-do
    in a matter of days or weeks.
    When it was up and running here I was getting 400 kbps to 1.2 mbps. I
    d/l'd xp sp2 in about 14 minutes (75 megabytes).
    I regularly average 100 - 120 kbps and rarely less than 80 on the
    1xRTT network here and thruout southern california and the central
    coast. I also just bought an external antenna and adapter cable for
    the 5220 card and while it hasn't improved my speeds, it increased my
    signal by about 1 to 2 bars and keeps it rock steady at 3 to 4 bars
    even on my boat below the waterline.

    DB

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:25:15 -0700, "Kevin Carol Rubye & Tobye"

    Peter Pan wrote:

    > Excuse me!?!?!??!??!?!?!!??!?!! No way in heck that NA is as slow as you
    > said..

    Sometimes it is. My EN connections used to vary from 50-60Kbps to 80-90Kbps. I
    never got anywhere near the theoretical top end.

    > My National Access is WAY WAY faster than dial-up, I generally get about
    > 100K connects and I've never seen one less than 60K and that's faster than a
    > 56K dial-up! (Hint 100 ((even 60)) is a bigger number than 56... unless you
    > are dividing by 3 for your kids)..

    Well, I never got above 90.

    > Peter Pan wrote:
    >
    > > Excuse me!?!?!??!??!?!?!!??!?!! No way in heck that NA is as slow as you
    > > said..
    >
    > Sometimes it is. My EN connections used to vary from 50-60Kbps to
    80-90Kbps. I
    > never got anywhere near the theoretical top end.
    >
    > > My National Access is WAY WAY faster than dial-up, I generally get about
    > > 100K connects and I've never seen one less than 60K and that's faster
    than a
    > > 56K dial-up! (Hint 100 ((even 60)) is a bigger number than 56... unless
    you
    > > are dividing by 3 for your kids)..
    >
    > Well, I never got above 90.
    >
    > --

    And your point is? Check real math, not your kids new math. Dial up is max
    56 (limited to 52), and 90 is greater than 56 (52).... It was almost ALWAYS
    faster than 56/ dial-up.

    your exact statement (copied from your post) was "NationalAccess/Express
    Network uses 1xRTT and achieves (generally) speeds around those of a dialup
    modem connection."

    If you would have said it achieves speeds GREATER than dial-up, it would
    faster than 56k or more, but you make it sound like 1X (generally) only
    achieves speed less than dial-up.

    Peter Pan wrote:

    > your exact statement (copied from your post) was "NationalAccess/Express
    > Network uses 1xRTT and achieves (generally) speeds around those of a dialup
    > modem connection."

    OK, my fault for not offering more information. USUALLY I'd only get around
    50-60K. I did get 80-90K on a couple connects. But usually it was around the
    same speed as a 56K analog modem. Now, that's a lot better than 14.4. :) However...

    > If you would have said it achieves speeds GREATER than dial-up, it would
    > faster than 56k or more, but you make it sound like 1X (generally) only
    > achieves speed less than dial-up.

    ....according to my experiences, 50-60K is what I get, and that's the range
    you'll hit with a good 56K analog modem and a decent landline.

    I don't think it is announced yet for Tampa, but it has been up and
    running since mid-August. Initial speeds were 600k up and 64k down. It seems
    to have slowed to about 400k from the office in downtown Tampa where I use
    it. In the suburbs, my card has switched from 1xRTT to EV-DO on the fly
    while retaining the connection. There is some latency and sometimes
    disconnecting and then reconnecting seems to help.

    --
    Thomas M. Goethe

    "Kevin Carol Rubye & Tobye" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am enticed by the ED-VO data rate, and though not offical, there are a
    few
    > locations intermittantly offering ED-VO. Anyone have one, and using it?

    Antenna and pigtail recommendations? I have several magnet mount cell
    antenna.

    "d b" <dberger805@nospam.softhome.net> wrote in message
    > I'm in the Long Beach area and we had ev-do running pretty constantly
    >
    > coast. I also just bought an external antenna and adapter cable for

    These guys have a pigtail
    http://www.yourwirelesssource.com/PhoneAccessories.asp?phone=VERIZON+PC5220
    it is rather fragile, be sure to have a spare. http://www.canyonriver.com
    has antennas and the folks there are very knowledgeable. They might also be
    able to do the pigtail for less, but don't list it.

    --
    Thomas M. Goethe

    > Antenna and pigtail recommendations? I have several magnet mount cell
    > antenna.
    >

    > "d b" <dberger805@nospam.softhome.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm in the Long Beach area and we had ev-do running pretty constantly
    >>
    >> coast. I also just bought an external antenna and adapter cable for

Verizon Internet Service Providers