looking for a KX-133 for Slot A thunderbird 850

AfroGeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wassup folks, I saw an artical about the Slot A thunderbird working with a Gigabyte GA7-VX. Is it true that this motherboard will work with My Thunderbird 850. Does anyone know of any KX-133 motherboards that will? I really would like the 4x advantage.

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i posted a reply to your other post but i have something to add...some people have mentioned problems with the slot-a thunderbird and the kx133 chipset. i don't have personal experience but you might want to check into it

G

I have the Asus K7V which is based on the KX133 chipset for Slot A Thunderbirds. It was shipped to me by mistake from Access Micro. However, as Access Micro is being a complete bunch of slow-moving stubbourn idiots and pretty much ignoring my case or running around in circles, I still have it (almost 2 months later). I don't think it's really a very good motherboard though. I've heard that the KX133 had issues and just was not a great performer. But if all you have is a Slot A T-Bird, you have little choice, I guess...

Charles

AfroGeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
HI Gaylon, I called ASUS, they told me that the K7V would not work with an 850 thunderbird. But the dude I was talking to on the phone did not sound like he knew much either. Did you get your thunderbird to work with the K7V? What speed is your processor? ASUS does show a K7V-T on their website. It's suppose to be fully compatible with the thunderbird slot A. Is this the extra board that you have? If so , how much are you asking?

G

The SlotA T-Bird cache is at full CPU speed (1/1), the original Athlon has a programmable cache setting 1/3, ½, 2/3. This being the norm the bios on the mb needs to support full speed cache. For the asus k7v go to http://www.k7v.com/ hunt around for a cache modifying program, for the abit ka7-100 raid go to http://www.abit.com.tw downloads ftp find the beta bios (ka7_ry.b03), I have both of these systems and they have worked great, If you can not adjust the cache speed within the bios it will not run stable/reliable.

P.S. Both boards I have mentioned are not supported officially by AMD or their mans. (SlotA T-Bird)

G

Well, it is indeed an extra board which I have, apparently, paid about $140 or so for. I wouldn't mind selling it to you for about $100 instead, but as noted in the post below, the K7V is not officially supported and I would worry about a compatibility issue. It may not be the way you want to go. Slot T-Birds... hmm... I'd try going to VIA's site and looking up supported proc info on their chipsets (KX-133 for this one) and then try pricewatch.com to see what viable solutions exist. Best of luck!

Charles