EVDO in Philly???

Does anyone know when EVDO will be available in the Philly area? Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about evdo philly

    Well, I guess this answers my question and then some.

    http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=135855&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

    "Ed Hudley" <ehudley@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know when EVDO will be available in the Philly area? Thanks.

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:35:58 GMT, "Ed Hudley" <ehudley@verizon.net> chose
    to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    > On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:35:58 GMT, in alt.cellular.verizon "Ed
    > Hudley" <ehudley@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know when EVDO will be available in the Philly area?
    >
    > Well, I guess this answers my question and then some.
    > http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=135855&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

    After reading the above article, my first reaction was "What?! Milwaukee
    but not Chicago??" Then I found this one, which I found to be very
    interesting, one paragraph in particular:

    http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=135964&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

    <quote>The knock against 1XEV-DO is that it is seen as a data-only
    technology because it uses a dedicated carrier separate from an operator's
    CDMA 1X network. 1XEV-DV is designed to support voice and data on the same
    network carrier, with similar data rates, and should provide greater
    spectral efficiencies. If VoIP can work on a 1XEV-DO Rev A network, it
    might mean the delay or even death of 1XEV-DV.<end quote>

    I had gotten the impression from reading this group that 1XEV-DO is, in
    fact, a co-user of the same spectrum and tower equipment as voice traffic.
    (I'm NOT saying I thought EV-DO could do voice and data calls
    simultaneously on the same user device.)

    I suppose that answers why they don't have EV-DO in Chicago yet -- no
    available spectrum (shoulda kept the PrimeCo stuff). What are the chances
    they can pick some up from Cingular/ATTWS after their merger?

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe."
    - Dr. Leonard McCoy

Verizon Internet Service Providers