EVDO in Philly???

Does anyone know when EVDO will be available in the Philly area? Thanks.

Well, I guess this answers my question and then some.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=135855&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

"Ed Hudley" <ehudley@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know when EVDO will be available in the Philly area? Thanks.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:35:58 GMT, "Ed Hudley" <ehudley@verizon.net> chose
to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:35:58 GMT, in alt.cellular.verizon "Ed
> Hudley" <ehudley@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know when EVDO will be available in the Philly area?
>
> Well, I guess this answers my question and then some.
> http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=135855&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

After reading the above article, my first reaction was "What?! Milwaukee
but not Chicago??" Then I found this one, which I found to be very
interesting, one paragraph in particular:

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=135964&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

<quote>The knock against 1XEV-DO is that it is seen as a data-only
technology because it uses a dedicated carrier separate from an operator's
CDMA 1X network. 1XEV-DV is designed to support voice and data on the same
network carrier, with similar data rates, and should provide greater
spectral efficiencies. If VoIP can work on a 1XEV-DO Rev A network, it
might mean the delay or even death of 1XEV-DV.<end quote>

I had gotten the impression from reading this group that 1XEV-DO is, in
fact, a co-user of the same spectrum and tower equipment as voice traffic.
(I'm NOT saying I thought EV-DO could do voice and data calls
simultaneously on the same user device.)

I suppose that answers why they don't have EV-DO in Chicago yet -- no
available spectrum (shoulda kept the PrimeCo stuff). What are the chances
they can pick some up from Cingular/ATTWS after their merger?

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe."
- Dr. Leonard McCoy