Upgrade CPU or Scrap entire System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALSaul

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Well – it has happened – the latest Video Game [Call-of-Duty: Black OPS] is overwhelming my Computer System: :eek:
CPU: X6800
MotherBoard: ASUS Striker-II Formula
Graphics: Two(2) EVGA GTX480-Super Clocked-SLI
RAM: 8Gig DDR2 PC28500

From what information I can find, this game is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive – as nice as the X6800, it is only Duo-Core. So what should I do.
Scrap the system that I have spent over $2000 on and is only a few years old? :fou:
OR
Get a High-End Quad-Core Processor? Like the Q9550 or Q9550S? If so – Which one? Or is the a better processor or solution? :sweat:

Thanks for the help – And Season’s Greetings to all at Tom’s Hardware – been a fan for DECADES

Solution

Well the Q9550 is enough, unless you want that person to spend more on higher clocked/ .. The 9550s is 65 w, the others 95 w, 9550/s are clocked the same 2.83 ghz, and there is a sbustantial amount of $ betw.. the 9550/s.. The Q9650 is higher clocked 3.0 ghz, but any of these chips can be oced ..
I would go with the 9550..
From what limited information I have read about the game is that is very poor in terms of how it is made. Seeing as it is only a modification of the last couple of games and they run better it is probably nothing to do with your system being bad necessarily.

I don't suppose you have it over clocked do you?

I ask as I doubt the game would use more than 2 cores but I do not know and if it doesn't a Q9550 would actually be a very, very small step backwards. To test if it is your cpu you could underclock it and see if it gets worse.

It seems strange for a game that is designed for consoles to take so much power to run but hey-ho, follow the money.

psychophat

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
The answer is optimize your system and tweak the game, "Remember this is CoD" your talking about. How ever you say it and with all the bugs and going to the configuration file and depending on your visual preferences you can deal with this to be a happy camper. Also from experience you can play around with your system setting to trim down the overall load and tweak the video settings too to alleviate the stress on sync.

Or you can just sit back accept the current situation and wait for the patch to come out.

BTW: You system is adequate already and you don't need to waste money on upgrade yet. Unless you wanna go through the new QX9770 or old extreme edition 965 which kicks ass even though it's old.

ALSaul

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I thank all for their input - it helps
In answer to StrangeStranger - I have tried to Over-Clock the system, but the x6800 does not seem to lend itself to any setting other than its own.

I have noticed that the RAMPAGE-III system that I built for the wife with an i7 930 processor has no problems - that is why I thought that the Quad-Core may help.

Guess I'll just hope for the best - Maybe BattleField 1943 will come on sometime this decade and save the day ;-)

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

It definitely performs better with a quad core, i have Qc and it uses the 4 cores well.
Your sli gtx 480 are definitely been held back by your cpu.
If you want to upgrade, which i suggest you do, you will have to stay with socket 775, therefore as said Q9550 or something will be nice..

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Well the Q9550 is enough, unless you want that person to spend more on higher clocked/ .. The 9550s is 65 w, the others 95 w, 9550/s are clocked the same 2.83 ghz, and there is a sbustantial amount of $ betw.. the 9550/s.. The Q9650 is higher clocked 3.0 ghz, but any of these chips can be oced ..
I would go with the 9550..

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS