Wireless router security

Hello,

I need to setup a wireless router. I would like to know if allowing
connectivity by MAC Addresses filtering is secure enough. I dont want
to setup the key for each machine, so I was thinking just to setup all
the MAC address for the wireless devices. Is any problem with it ?
Will it possible to hack the router ?

thanks,

Giovanni
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless router security

    MAC address filtering can be spoofed. In and of itself, it is probably very
    secure as those that know how to spoof it are not likely to come along and
    hack into your network Nethertheless, I strongly recommend you also enable
    encryption as well. That too can be broken, so the next thing you do is
    change your key on a regular basis. I personally don't use MAC filtering, I
    use 128 bit WEP, and I don't even bother to change it. My neighbor has a
    Linksys router with all defaults. The other day I was able to access his
    router's config pages because he didn't even change the admin password. I
    could have locked him out of his router, but I'm not mean enough to do that.

    "Giovanni" <jjcuzz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to setup a wireless router. I would like to know if allowing
    > connectivity by MAC Addresses filtering is secure enough. I dont want
    > to setup the key for each machine, so I was thinking just to setup all
    > the MAC address for the wireless devices. Is any problem with it ?
    > Will it possible to hack the router ?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Giovanni

    MAC address filtering is simply a hurdle and lLike most hurdles, it is
    just a deterrent. MAC addresses can be spoofed and when you're not
    using your wireless device, a hacker can use the spoofed MAC address
    to access your net. Having said that, it is extremely important that
    you enable encryption, preferably WPA (via RADIUS) or WPA-PSK (TKIP or
    AES) using a long passphrase that contains letters, numbers and
    symbols. Just my two cents. Take care.

    On 10 Nov 2004 14:29:13 -0800, jjcuzz@hotmail.com (Giovanni) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I need to setup a wireless router. I would like to know if allowing
    >connectivity by MAC Addresses filtering is secure enough. I dont want
    >to setup the key for each machine, so I was thinking just to setup all
    >the MAC address for the wireless devices. Is any problem with it ?
    >Will it possible to hack the router ?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Giovanni

Wireless Router Wireless Security Wireless Networking