Wireless Data service with laptop?

Do any of the readers of this newsgroup ever use a laptop, a PCMCIA card
to obtain data only from the Verizon Wireless service?

I am currently using T-mobile and am not awfully satisfied with their
service.

Thanks,
Mahl

"Mahlon Wagner" <mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> Do any of the readers of this newsgroup ever use a laptop, a PCMCIA card
> to obtain data only from the Verizon Wireless service?
>
> I am currently using T-mobile and am not awfully satisfied with their
> service.
>
> Thanks,
> Mahl

Sure.. I have Verizon/data card and happen to be in Vegas at the moment
where 1XEV-DO (coming thing, broadband, super fast) is active.
Just a suggestion, I not only have a data card that works with verizon, but
I also have a second card that lets me use WiFi (faster than the EVDO, handy
for downloading huge files from work)

I use vzw's unlimited data plan ($80/mo) with the 5220 card to
connect. Its my only internet service. I'm spoiled now with being able
to connect anywere, even while cruising down the freeway. 1xrtt (the
network you connect with thru most of the country right now) bandwidth
averages anywhere from 50 to 100 kbps depending on where you are.
EV-DO (the upgraded network now coming online (30% of vzw nationwide
by year end and rest by end of 05) provides 400 to 1200 kbps d/l
speeds. Latancy is a bit of an issue.

Prior to moving to vzw for data a year ago I was on nextel's ident and
hated it. 14kbps on a good day and lots of network downtime.

If you plan to use it a lot, want a reliable service and don't mind
paying a premium for a premium service then vzw is a good choice.

Being a going on 10 year user of cingular for voice and having used
sprint and nextel for data prior to vzw I can tell you vzw's customer
support is 1000 times better. They actually do care instead of trying
to dump you as fast as they can. I know because last time they fixed
my problem I said thanks, bye bye and they said NO, wait. Let me
check a couple of things before you go to just make sure everything is
set just right. Now, that's an attitude you will not find at sprint,
nextel or cingular.

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:42:44 GMT, Mahlon Wagner
<mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>Do any of the readers of this newsgroup ever use a laptop, a PCMCIA card
>to obtain data only from the Verizon Wireless service?
>
>I am currently using T-mobile and am not awfully satisfied with their
>service.
>
>Thanks,
>Mahl

spike

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003

For that matter, you can use VZW Mobile Office kit, and
their internet anywhere VZW digital is available. Of
course it's 14.4, but with the VZW Venturi Compression/
Decompression setup looks like about 28kbs +-..But,
you can use your voice time for data which is nice if
you have nights and weekends free. Not fast, but good
and reliable, especially for checking e-mail..VZW has
EVDO in many places now. Regards

I'm using Verizon in NYC with the 5220 PC card. It is about as fast as dial
up and much better (about 2x faster) than T-Mobile GPRS which I also have.
GPRS is good for email, IM and browsing WAP sites from my PDA. I'm using a
PC Card for both AT&T EDGE and one for Verizon 1xRTT, both during the trial
period to decide which to keep.

EDGE is about twice as fast as Verizon and browsing is tolerable. Rumor has
it Verizon is rolling out EVDO soon, by end of the year in NYC. So I'm
probably going to send both back since neither is really worth $80/mo to me.
When Verizon is ready with EVDO I'll get it.

Regards-Michael G.